1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hon. Trig & Precalc Exam Review - Concepts

1. May 31, 2009 #1

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

I've been studying for our final exam throughout this weekend, and I realized that there is a lot that I don't remember. So, instead of asking each individual question, I'm going to try to ask one from each concept that I don't understand. Quite a few of them I have absolutely no idea how to start, which is why I might not show work (sorry), but I did already complete a portion of the review (if that's any consolation :wink:). Anyhow, any help would be greatly appreciated, as always!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6.c. Verify the following identities: sinx(cot x + tan x) = sec x

17. Give two other polar coordinate representations of the point [-2, [tex]\frac{3\pi}{4}[/tex], one with r<0 and the other with r>0.

22.b. Find the indicated power using DeMoivre's Theorem. Have your answer in polar form. (-3+[tex]\sqrt{3}i)^{4}[/tex]

24.a. Find parametric equations for the line with the give properties. Slope=2, passing through (-10,8)

30. A straight river flows east at a speed of 10 mph. A boater starts at the south shore of the river and heads in a direction 60 degrees north from the shore. The motorboat has a speed of 20 mph relative to the water.
    a. Express the velocity of the river as a vector in component form.
    b. Express the velocity of the motorboat relative to the water as a vector in component form.
    c. Find the true velocity of the motorboat as a vector.
    d. Find the true speed and direction of the motorboat.

46. The sum of the first three terms of a geometric series is 52, and the common ratio is 3. Find the first term.

3. The attempt at a solution
    6.c. I probably use tan=sin/cos and sec=1/cos in there somewhere...

17. Hmm...

22. DeMoivre's theorem squared the first term and multiplies the second. However, this obviously won't work directly on the coordinates given, so I need the preliminary operation.

24. Well, I know the slope, but how do I set up the equations?

30. I drew a pretty little diagram, and that's about it.

46. Does this use sigma?

Thanks again! If you can only contribute on one, that's fine, too; all help is appreciated!

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, absolutely. I would make these replacements and see if I could make the left side look like the right side.
    I think all you need to do is find a different angle representation that gets you to the same point on the unit circle. For example, (1, pi/4) can be represented as (-1, 5pi/4) or as (1, 9pi/4).
    Rewrite the vector in polar form, and then you can use DeMoivre's theorem on it.
    Get the equation of the line first in y and x. The simplest way would be with this formula: y - y0 = m(x - x0). After that, you can parametrize using x = t, y = mt + b. If that's not what the problem is looking for, you can parametrize it using the vector sum of the vector to the given point + t times the slope.
    This one will take a little work. Take a look at the diagram you drew and see if you can make a start at equations that represents the quantities involved.
    You don't need it, since you're dealing with just the first three terms. And the series is a geometric series, so each term is (in this case) 3 times the previous term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook