1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Honors-level textbook on general chemistry

1. Jul 20, 2011 #1
    Would someone please recommend an introductory textbook on general chemistry? I would like a well-motivated text that makes use of calculus, preferrably one written for honors level general chemistry courses (such as the one at the University of Chicago). Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    I doubt I will be of much help, but I googled "Honors General Chemistry":
    http://www.google.co.za/#hl=en&q=ho...0l0l0ll0&fp=dd0f596fbb3eaf88&biw=1440&bih=717

Here are some books I came across:
    "Chemistry: The Molecular Nature of Matter and Change" Silberberg
    Peter Siska "University Chemistry"
    "Chemical Principles: The Quest for Insight" by Peter Atkins and Loretta Jones
    "Chemistry, The Central Science" Brown, LeMay, Bursten and Murphy

But please note, I am not familiar with any of these books.

4. Jul 21, 2011 #3
    Yup, since there seems to be a shortage of active chemists here, your best bet is to go to the websites of chem depts of universities you respect, look at the syllabi for their honors classes, and see what they use. The last time I looked (quite a while ago), MIT was using the Atkins text cited above.

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    I looked for syllabi online before starting this thread, but I didn't find what I was looking for (with the exception of MIT). I think I'll try the book by Atkins. Thanks for your help!

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5
    Most honors level chemistry books are basically halfway steps between a regular gen chem book and their upper division counter parts. You could just grab a physical chemistry book and just go through that. They're not particularly difficult, I would recommend McQuarrie because there's a full solutions manual available.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook