Hoop stress in solid disc from thermal contraction

In summary, the conversation is about hoop stresses and converting thermal contraction into pressure for the thick walled hoop equation. A composite disc made of copper and silica is described, where the copper contracts more than the silica, causing the disc to bend into a cup shape. The link to a relevant PDF and a reference to "Theory of Plates and Shells" by Timoshenko are provided for further reading.
elrohir00
Hi,

I have been looking at hoop stresses and the information I have found hasn't been all that useful to me as I am having a hard time converting the thermal contraction of a system into a pressure for the equation (stress=a+b/r^2). This is the thick walled hoop equation

The disc is a few microns of copper on 0.7mm silica and from the thermal contraction the disc bends from Stoney's equation. The discs are solid (no hole) and have a radius of 40mm.

as the disc is solid b=0 so we only have a which is apparently the pressure. As all of the stresses are coming from thermal contraction I'm not sure if it will all cancel out.

the radius of the copper contracts by 0.1304mm and the silica contract by 0.0032mm if its required.

Thanks for your time

Science news on Phys.org
hello, elrohir.

Are you describing a composite disc where a complete layer of copper is bonded to a complete layer of silica, like a part sandwich?

So that if the composite disk is flat and cools the copper will contract more than the silica, pulling the disc into a cup shape?

Or have I misunderstood?

yes the copper is stuck onto the silica. At room temperature the disc is flat to a few nanometres and when its cooled it makes a cup/bowl shape and the edges lift by around 1 mm

http://www.iasmirt.org/SMiRT16/B1834.PDF

I think its also in Timoshenko "Theory of Plates and Shells"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats looking right on the money. I will give it a read through and see what i can extract

Thanks studiot for a quick response

go well

1. What is hoop stress in a solid disc?

Hoop stress in a solid disc is the stress that occurs when the disc is subjected to thermal contraction, causing a decrease in its diameter. This stress is distributed equally around the circumference of the disc and is perpendicular to its surface.

2. How does thermal contraction affect hoop stress in a solid disc?

When a solid disc experiences thermal contraction, its diameter decreases, causing the material to contract inwards. This results in an increase in hoop stress, as the material is being compressed in the hoop direction.

3. How is hoop stress calculated in a solid disc from thermal contraction?

Hoop stress in a solid disc from thermal contraction can be calculated using the formula: σ = EαΔT, where σ is the hoop stress, E is the Young's modulus of the material, α is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. What are the factors that can affect hoop stress in a solid disc from thermal contraction?

The factors that can affect hoop stress in a solid disc from thermal contraction include the material properties (such as Young's modulus and coefficient of thermal expansion), the change in temperature, and the geometry of the disc (such as its thickness and diameter).

5. How can hoop stress in a solid disc from thermal contraction be minimized?

To minimize hoop stress in a solid disc from thermal contraction, the material with a lower coefficient of thermal expansion can be chosen, or the disc can be designed with a larger diameter and/or thickness. Additionally, proper thermal management techniques can be implemented to reduce the change in temperature and thus the amount of thermal contraction.