1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal and Vertical Tangents for Polar Equation

1. Jan 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the points at which the following polar equation has horizontal and vertical tangents:

r2 = 4cos(2θ)

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{r'(θ)sinθ + r(θ)cosθ}{r'(θ)cosθ - r(θ)sinθ}[/itex]

Horizontal Tangent: [itex]\frac{dy}{dθ}[/itex] = 0; [itex]\frac{dx}{dθ}[/itex] ≠ 0
    Vertical Tangent: [itex]\frac{dx}{dθ}[/itex] = 0; [itex]\frac{dy}{dθ}[/itex] ≠ 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is no "clean" way of solving for r (because of the +/- sqrt) so that I could find r'(θ) to use in the formula. So, I figured I would use implicit differentiation:

r2 = 4cos(2θ)

2r[itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}[/itex] = -8sin(2θ)

[itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-4sin(2θ)}{r}[/itex]

But, when I plug it in the formula, I now have an r and a θ when I set the numerator and denominator of [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] equal to zero (separately of course). I don't know what to do when I have both variables like that and I'm trying to solve for θ. How should I be approaching this problem? Have I done this problem right so far? If so, what do I do next? If not, any suggestions? Please be clear. I can't find this problem answered clearly anywhere on the internet.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    For some reason the text isn't showing up right on my computer after posting. Let me know if its the same for you so I can edit and try to fix it.

4. Jan 16, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You should have an equation involving r and θ (no derivatives around). Your original equation for the curve also has those two variables. Two equations, two unknowns.
    If still stuck, please post all your working.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted