1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal asymptotes - approaches from above or below?

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    I seem to be having a lot of difficulty finding whether for a horizontal asymptote, whether the curve approaches the asymptote from above or below.

For example, for the problem [tex]y = \frac{6x + 1}{1 - 2x}[/tex], I know that:

For the vertical asymptote, x = 1/2, and that [tex]\lim_{x \to \frac{1}{2}^{+}} = - \infty[/tex], while [tex]\lim_{x \to \frac{1}{2}^{-}} = \infty[/tex].

Meanwhile, for the horizontal asymptote, there is one at y = -3. However, I do not know understand whether it approaches from above or below.

This is how I tried to find it:
    As x --> -3 from the left, eg. x = -10, [tex]\frac{6(-3)+1}{1-2(-10)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-17}{21}[/tex] = -0.81
    therefore approaches from above, because -0.81 is greater than -3.

As x --> -3 from the right, eg. x = 10, [tex]\frac{6(-3)+1}{1-2(10)}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-17}{-19}[/tex] = 0.95
    therefore also approaches from above, because -0.81 is greater than -3.

However, my graphing calculator says otherwise. The graph shows that, left of the vertical asymptote, the curve approaches from above; to the right, it approaches from the bottom. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you substituting x=-3 into the numerator and then substituting [itex]x=\pm10[/itex] into the denominator?

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    Hmm, that's what I saw in my class notes. I assumed that the numerator's x-value remained to be -3, while the denominator was supposed to have a "test" value.

Ok, so I'm guessing I'm supposed to be subbing [itex]x=\pm10[/itex] into both numerator and denominator?

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes!:smile:

After all, it's y that approaches -3 not x.

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Thanks for clarifying, gabbagabbahey!

I don't know how I've been pondering over this simple mistake, haha... :redface:

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6
    Also, another question: is what I shown above involving the calculations of [tex]\lim_{x \to - \infty}[/tex] and [tex]\lim_{x \to +\infty}[/tex]?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. Feb 23, 2009 #7
    [itex] \displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{6x+1}{1-2x} [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{6+\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}-2} [/itex]

Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook