Horizontal force exerted by an engine

In summary, the conversation is about confusion regarding question 2 on a homework assignment. The person attempted to use Bernoulli's equation and conservation of momentum to solve for the force exerted, but encountered an issue with the velocity at point 1 resulting in an imaginary number. Someone else suggests that the issue may be with the value of R being used for the specific gas constant of air.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

I am only confused about question 2.
NSrLabC.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to use bernoulli's equation to find velocity at point 1. With velocity at point 1 and point 2 I can use conservation of momentum to solve for the force exerted. In this case there would be Fx, pressure force at 1 and pressure force at 2. However as you can see in my second last and last lines of work, v1 comes out to be an imaginary number which is impossible.

What am I doing wrong?

8QPpLKw.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, in the step where you compute the density is wrong, 'cause R's value in the international system of measures is [tex]R=8,314 \dfrac{J}{mol \cdot K}[/tex]

Esteban said:
I think, in the step where you compute the density is wrong, 'cause R's value in the international system of measures is [tex]R=8,314 \dfrac{J}{mol \cdot K}[/tex]

The R in this equation refers to the specific gas constant of air, so it isn't 8.3146 I believe.

Oh, lol ahahahha

I would first like to commend you on your approach to the problem and your use of Bernoulli's equation and conservation of momentum. However, it seems that you may have made a mistake in your calculations which resulted in the imaginary number for v1. I suggest double checking your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. Additionally, it may be helpful to try solving the problem using a different method or approach to see if you get the same result. If you continue to encounter difficulties, I recommend seeking assistance from a colleague or instructor to help identify and correct any errors. As a scientist, it is important to always check and double check our work to ensure accuracy and validity. Good luck with your problem!

1. What is horizontal force exerted by an engine?

Horizontal force exerted by an engine is the amount of force that an engine produces in a horizontal direction. This force is responsible for moving the object or vehicle forward.

2. How is horizontal force measured?

Horizontal force is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). It can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object or vehicle by its acceleration.

3. What factors affect the horizontal force exerted by an engine?

The horizontal force exerted by an engine can be affected by various factors such as the size and power of the engine, the weight and aerodynamics of the vehicle, and the friction between the vehicle and the surface it is moving on.

4. Why is horizontal force important in vehicles?

Horizontal force is important in vehicles because it is the force that propels the vehicle forward. The greater the horizontal force exerted by the engine, the faster the vehicle can accelerate and maintain its speed.

5. Can horizontal force be controlled?

Yes, horizontal force can be controlled by adjusting the engine's power output and the vehicle's weight and aerodynamics. Friction can also be reduced by using smoother tires or changing the surface the vehicle is moving on.