1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Horizontal Force on a Ramp required to Accelerate a Mass

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 5.57 kg box sits on a ramp that is inclined at 38.0^\circ above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp is 0.28.

What horizontal force is required to move the box up the incline with a constant acceleration of 4.30 m/s^2?

2. Relevant equations

Calculation F. F=ma is important. Trig functions. Calculation of F caused by friction.

3. The attempt at a solution

I calculated the force required to move the object up the ramp using a horizontal force; m*a/cos(38), which is 23.951N.

I calculated the force caused by the μk, which is sin 52*mg, which is 12.044 N

I added these, and found the horizontal component required, which is those added/ cos 28, which gives 45.7N

I am fairly certain I'm doing this wrong though, and I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, GiantCube.
    I get the 12 and the 24 but not the 45.7. It would be nice to see your F = ma statement with the three things added to get the total force. We may have some differences in the signs.

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    Thanks. :)

The Force is the horizontal portion of the acceleration, so (m*a*cos(38)) must the force to get over the friction, so sin(52)*m*g. Which would be F= sin(52)*m*g + (u*m*a*cos(38))

... I'm fairly certain that's wrong, but not sure why...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook