Horizontal Plane With Friction And Incline Plane With no Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum height a body with mass 5 kg and initial velocity 5 m/s can reach as it moves along a horizontal plane of length 10 m, with friction coefficient of 0.1, and then up a tilted plane with no friction. The conversation explores two methods, one using velocity and the other using energy conservation, to find the maximum height. The final answer is h=0.27 meters.
amgoda
1. A body with mass m = 5 kg and initial velocity = 5 m/s moves along a horizontal plane with length 10 m, where the friction coefficient is μ=0.1, After passing the part with friction, the body moves up along a tilted plane which has no friction. What is the maximum height of body elevation along the tilted plane?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/physicso.png/

i tired to get the final velocity before it goes up the inclined plane and got (2.32) but i think i got it wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You should really show how you got 2.32m/s. And no, you didn't get it wrong. But you never really needed to find the velocity. What you needed to find is the kinetic energy before it goes up the ramp. How is that related to the height it climbs?

alright .. here is how i thought about it ..
N=mg
Fκ=μk.N
a=(μk.mg)/-m=-.98m/s^s
vf^2=V0+2a(x-x0)
vf^2=5^2+(2*-.98*10)= 2.32
and i thought that the final velocity on the horizontal plane is the initial velocity for the inclined plane ..

amgoda said:
alright .. here is how i thought about it ..
N=mg
Fκ=μk.N
a=(μk.mg)/-m=-.98m/s^s
vf^2=V0+2a(x-x0)
vf^2=5^2+(2*-.98*10)= 2.32
and i thought that the final velocity on the horizontal plane is the initial velocity for the inclined plane ..

That is perfectly fine. I don't think it's the most economical route to the answer but you are doing very well. But now how do you use the initial velocity up the ramp to find the height you climb?

that's the problem .. i just got to this point and i don't know what to do afterwards ...
btw thanks for the fast replies

amgoda said:
that's the problem .. i just got to this point and i don't know what to do afterwards ...
btw thanks for the fast replies

Do you know how to use energy conservation to do it? Gravitational potential energy at a height h up the ramp is mgh. That must be equal to the kinetic energy you started with. Yes?

ahaa .. so it should equal to the kinetic energy at the end of the horizontal plane .. so will it be .5*m*v^2=mgh .5*5*2.32^2=5*9.8*h
h=0.63 meters ?

amgoda said:
ahaa .. so it should equal to the kinetic energy at the end of the horizontal plane .. so will it be .5*m*v^2=mgh .5*5*2.32^2=5*9.8*h
h=0.63 meters ?

Exactly, except I don't get h=0.63m. Can you try that once more? And think about whether you really needed to find v at all. You just need the KE at the start of the ramp. Can you think of a simpler way to find that?

Last edited:
ahaaa .. here we go .. i don't know why i haven't thought of this
Wnet=μk.mg.Δx = change in KE
then KE at the bottom = 13.5 =mgh
h= .027
and i recalculated H in the First method i used and i got 0.27 also ..
thanks a lot u drew my attention to the easier way .. thanks

amgoda said:
ahaaa .. here we go .. i don't know why i haven't thought of this
Wnet=μk.mg.Δx = change in KE
then KE at the bottom = 13.5 =mgh
h= .027
and i recalculated H in the First method i used and i got 0.27 also ..
thanks a lot u drew my attention to the easier way .. thanks

Very welcome. Energy conservation is often the easy way to go. And both are h=0.27, right?

yup.. i just messed up in the first calculation

1. What is the difference between a horizontal plane with friction and an inclined plane with no friction?

A horizontal plane with friction is a surface that is completely flat and has resistance to movement due to the presence of friction. An inclined plane with no friction is a surface that is at an angle and has no resistance to movement due to the absence of friction.

2. How does friction affect the motion of objects on a horizontal plane?

Friction acts as a force that opposes the motion of objects on a horizontal plane. This means that it makes it more difficult for objects to move across the surface, and can cause them to slow down or stop.

3. Why is it easier to move objects on an inclined plane with no friction compared to a horizontal plane with friction?

On an inclined plane with no friction, there is no resistance to the motion of objects, making it easier for them to move. On a horizontal plane with friction, the presence of friction makes it more difficult for objects to move, as it acts as a force in the opposite direction.

4. How does the angle of an inclined plane affect the force of gravity on objects?

The steeper the angle of an inclined plane, the more the force of gravity will act on objects placed on it. This means that objects on a steeper incline will experience a greater force of gravity pulling them downwards.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated on a horizontal plane?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate friction on a horizontal plane. However, it is possible to reduce it by using materials that have lower coefficients of friction, such as lubricants or smoother surfaces.