Horizontal Speed of bullet fragment

In summary: The kinetic energy is 1/2 m v^2 and the potential energy is m g h. At the top of the curve, you have used up all of the initial kinetic energy as potential energy. You now need to find the new velocity. You use conservation of momentum to figure out the new velocity. You write:m_1v_1 = m_2v_2 where m_1 = m_2 - 1.
bulldog23
[SOLVED] Horizontal Speed of bullet fragment

Homework Statement

A 14-kg shell is fired from a gun with a muzzle velocity 125 m/s at 33o above the horizontal. At the top of the trajectory, the shell explodes into two fragments of equal mass. One fragment, whose speed immediately after the explosion is zero, falls vertically. What is the horizontal speed of the other fragment?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I divided the mass by two, because the bullet splits into two equal fragments. I have no idea how to figure out the horizontal speed of the second fragment. Can someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very badly worded question.
Are you supposed to assume all the KE goes into the second half or do you assume that the momentum of the explosion puts all the forward momentum into the second half?

I think you are going to have to do it by energy.
You know the KE at the start. Work out the maximum height reached ( v^2 = u^2 + 2as).
Then you know how much KE has gone into PE.
When the shell explodes all the remaining KE must go into the second half so you know it's total speed.

Think about the path of the second half and you should get it's horizontal velocity.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you are to assume that all of the KE goes into the second half. Can you help me out, I'm lost?

I am still confused, I don't understand how to figure out the height.

For now just think about the upward velocity.
Draw a triangle with the angle given in the question, the total speed as the hypotonuse and you will get the vertical and horizontal velocities from the other two sides.

You know at the top of the curve it's vertical velocity must be zero.
You know what rate it is slowing down as it goes up ( g = 9.8m/s^2)
And there is a well known equation that says:
V^2 = U^2 = 2 a s where v=final, u=initial velocity, a = acceleration and s=distance.
Be careful, a is -g because it gravity is acting downwards.

So the initial velocity is 125 m/s. The accel is -9.8 m/s^2. I still need the distance right? And then I solve for the final velocity?

The initial velocity is 125m/s at 33deg and the vertical accelaration is -9.8 m/s^2
You have to find the initial vertical velocity to find the height.

can you explain to me how to do that?

so then I just take 125 and divide by -9.8?

The velocity is 125m/s at an angle of 33deg - velocity must always have a speed and direction.
That's equivalent to 125 sin(33) vertically and 125 cos(33) horizontally. You can see this if you draw a triangle.

A nice feature about physics is that you can treat forces at right angles independantly so we can ignore the horizontall bit fro now and just look at the vertical.
It starts off going up at 125sin(33) and slows down at 9.8m/s^2
v^2 = u^2 + 2 a s At the top when u=0 and a = -9.8
125sin(33) ^2 = 2 * 9.8 * s where s (the height) =236.5m

The kinetic energy is = 1/2 m v^2 and potential energy is = m g h
At the top of the curve you have used up some of the initial KE as PE - so we now work out how much KE is left.
KE = 1/2m v^2 - mgh = 1/2* M * 125^2 - M * 9.8 * 236.5 = M ( 1/2*125^2 - 9.8*236.5).

Now the shell is only moving horizontally at the top of the curve so all this kinetic energy is going to go into the horizontal velocity.
But the mass has just halved - so:

M * those numbers = 1/2 1/2 M V^2 where V is the new velocity.

Would this have been solved a bit more easily as a conservation of momentum problem? You just figure out the horizontal velocity, then

[tex]m_1v_1 = m_2v_2[/tex]

fill in the [tex]m_1\ \ v_1 \ \ m_2[/tex] and solve for [tex]v_2[/tex]

I think you HAVE to use conservation of momentum. Since the bullet "explodes" you cannot assume that total energy is conserved.

Doh - I was forgetting that the vertical momentum component was zero when it separates!

What do I put in for m1 and m2?

never mind I got it, thanks

1. What is the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment?

The horizontal speed of a bullet fragment depends on a variety of factors, including the initial velocity of the bullet, the angle at which it is fired, and the air resistance it encounters. In general, the horizontal speed will decrease as the bullet fragment travels through the air due to the effects of air resistance.

2. How is the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment measured?

The horizontal speed of a bullet fragment can be measured using high-speed cameras or ballistic chronographs. These devices use specialized sensors and software to track the movement of the bullet fragment and calculate its speed.

3. What is the effect of air resistance on the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly decrease the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment. As the bullet fragment travels through the air, it encounters resistance that slows it down. This effect is more pronounced at higher velocities and for smaller, lighter fragments.

4. How does the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment differ from its vertical speed?

The horizontal speed of a bullet fragment is typically much greater than its vertical speed. This is because the bullet is propelled forward by the force of the gunpowder explosion, whereas gravity causes it to fall at a relatively constant rate. Additionally, air resistance affects the horizontal speed more than the vertical speed.

5. Can the horizontal speed of a bullet fragment be increased?

The initial speed of a bullet fragment can be increased by using a more powerful gun or by using specialized ammunition. However, once the fragment is in motion, its horizontal speed will decrease due to air resistance. It is not possible to increase the horizontal speed of a fragment while it is in motion.