Horse race:tilting the possibility

• Thread starter FilupSmith
  • Start date
In summary, probability is the likelihood of an event occurring. It can be changed based on new information, even after the event has already occurred.
FilupSmith
So, today we were studying the introduction of probability. For me it is fairly simple (for now).

My question is something we discussed during class today.

When betting on a horse before a horse race - say, a race of 5 horses, the odds ARE NOT 1/5 because the odds are not equal (eg. one horse may be faster).

So, what about if you placed a bet AFTER the race, assuming you don't know anything about any of the horses nor the outcome?

The way I think about this is that before the race, the horses had different chances of winning - tilting the possibility of winning or losing, and that after the race, although they HAD altering chances, the new 'guessing' chance is now indeed 1/5, is it not?

I'm not sure what to think, so I hope you guys can help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion it would be wrong to consider finding probability of something once you know its outcome.

What is the probability of 2 of heart coming from a well shuffled 52 cards? That would be 1/52. Once a card is chosen there is no question of probability.

Though what can be said even after the card is chosen (irrespective of 2 of heart comes or not) is that the probability of 2 of heart coming was 1/52.

FilupSmith said:
So, today we were studying the introduction of probability. For me it is fairly simple (for now).

My question is something we discussed during class today.

When betting on a horse before a horse race - say, a race of 5 horses, the odds ARE NOT 1/5 because the odds are not equal (eg. one horse may be faster).
If you know something that changes the 1/5 probability for each, that should be applied. If you don't know anything, then 1/5 is a good guess
So, what about if you placed a bet AFTER the race, assuming you don't know anything about any of the horses nor the outcome?

The way I think about this is that before the race, the horses had different chances of winning - tilting the possibility of winning or losing, and that after the race, although they HAD altering chances, the new 'guessing' chance is now indeed 1/5, is it not?
If you have no new information, there is no reason to change your original guess. That is true regardless of what you knew before the race.
Probability theory is best looked at as "guessing information" theory. You make a guess based on your current information, regardless of when the experiment took place. A tossed fair coin has a 0.5 probability of heads until you know more about it -- even if it was tossed earlier. There is a subject called Bayes' Theory that tells you how to adjust probabilities for your guess as you get more information or hints.

You are talking about two different things.

FilupSmith said:
Here you are talking about the probability of each horse winning the race, and assuming there are differences between the horses' capabilities, the probability for each horse is different.

FilupSmith said:
Here you are talking about the probability of you picking the winning horse, and assuming you don't know about the differences between the horses' capabilities before the race the probability s 1/5. This does not change after the race: assuming you don't know which horse actually won the race the probability of choosing which one did win is 1/5.

Ok. I wasn't sure. Thanks :)~| FilupSmith |~

What is a horse race and how does it work?

A horse race is a competition between two or more horses, usually on a track or field. The goal is to be the first horse to cross the finish line. Horses are ridden by jockeys and can run at varying speeds depending on their breed, training, and health.

What is "tilting the possibility" in a horse race?

"Tilting the possibility" refers to the act of shifting the odds in favor of a particular horse winning the race. This can be achieved through various methods such as manipulating the horse's training or using performance-enhancing drugs. It is considered unethical and is not allowed in professional horse racing.

How do scientists study horse racing and its effects on the horses?

Scientists can study horse racing by conducting research on the physical and mental effects of racing on the horses. This can include analyzing blood samples, conducting behavioral studies, and monitoring the health and well-being of horses before and after races. They can also compare data from different races and tracks to identify patterns and trends.

What are the potential risks and benefits of horse racing?

The potential risks of horse racing include injuries and even fatalities to both horses and jockeys, as well as the potential for unethical practices such as animal cruelty and gambling. However, the sport also has potential benefits such as providing entertainment and job opportunities, and promoting the breeding and care of horses.

How does technology play a role in modern horse racing?

Technology has greatly impacted modern horse racing in various ways. It has allowed for accurate timing and tracking of races, improved training methods and equipment, and advancements in veterinary care for the horses. It has also made it easier for fans to follow and bet on races through online platforms and live streaming.