Hotmail Subscription Fees: Why Do Different Countries Pay Different Prices?

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, different countries have to pay different fees for extra storage space on their Hotmail accounts. In the Netherlands, the fee is 31.99 Euros for a one year subscription, while in the United States it is only 19.95 dollars. However, when the currency exchange rate is taken into account, the fair price in Euros should be 17.65. The discrepancy in pricing may be due to the population size of each country, but as a global company, it is expected that Hotmail charges the same amount regardless of location.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just bought extra storage space for my hotmail account, and I came to the shocking, or rather amazing discovery that different countries have to pay different fees, where in the Netherlands we almost have to pay double for the same service compared to the States!

In the Netherlands: 31.99 Euros for a one year subscription
In the United States: 19.95 dollars for the same thing.

Currency exchange:
1 dollar = 0.8865 euros

So instead of 31.99 euros it should be 17.65 euros when all is fair. Why this gross discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe there are fewer users in Netherlands, so MS charge you extra...

Well duh, how many people are there in the states? 1.6 billion or something? (have no clue) in the Netherlands there are 16 million.. but Hotmail is a global company, it shouldn't matter on the country how much they charge? Internet has no boundaries.

correction US population: 280,562,489 according to the CIA :)

well I tried to find an economical reason and not to upset all the MS fans out there...

1. How much is Hotmail worth in dollars?

The exact value of Hotmail in dollars is not publicly disclosed, as the company is owned by Microsoft. However, experts estimate its value to be in the billions of dollars.

2. Can I use Hotmail in euros?

Yes, Hotmail can be accessed and used in euros. The currency used to pay for any premium features or services may vary depending on your location and the payment options available.

3. Is there a difference in cost between using Hotmail in dollars or euros?

No, the cost for using Hotmail is the same regardless of the currency used. However, the exchange rate may affect the actual amount you pay in your local currency.

4. How do I change the currency on my Hotmail account?

To change the currency on your Hotmail account, go to your account settings and select the preferred currency under the "Payment options" section. Keep in mind that not all currencies may be available, depending on your location.

5. Can I receive payments in euros through my Hotmail account?

Hotmail does not offer a payment service, so you cannot receive payments through your account. However, you can use your Hotmail email address to receive payment notifications or invoices from other services or individuals.