Hovercraft vibration noise problem

In summary, the noise coming from the hovercraft is caused by the skirt vibrating and it becomes louder when somebody is on the craft. A good model to start with would be helpful because it would help understand the problems and solutions.
tnorm12
I have built a 3' by 4' hovercraft (with rounded corners) out of plywood with a pond liner bag skirt. it it powered by either 2 battery operated leaf blowers or 1 plug in electric leaf blower. I have encountered a problem with both power sources. The hovercraft makes a loud vibrating noise when I stand/sit on it. It sounds like when you vibrate your lips together but much louder. With nobody on the craft there is a very small noise and with somebody on it its much louder. On the bottom there is a rectangular piece of plastic in the middle (16" by 4") positioned so that is 16 inches to every side (a little longer to the corners). There are 6 approx 2" holes around the middle (2 on each long side and 1 on each short side). Any suggestions of how to get rid of the noise? I assume its from not enough holes/bad positioning of the holes but i don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the noise coming from? The skirt?

Fan designed for high volume and fast rotating is always going to have servere noise problems as the pressure jacks up and down at the skirt.

You are best talking to experts in the area like the hovercraft club in uk.
http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/archive/index.php

They have active forums with people who would have hands on solutions most likely.

yes the noise seems to be coming from the skirt. I noticed when turned on the skirt is flapping/ vibrating. The noise becomes louder and the vibrations quicker when I step on the craft

Uglybb you said it will always have sever noise problems but the thing is in my 1st prototype i built straight off the basic online model (round 4' diameter, leaf blower, plastic 6 mil sheet for skirt, 6 holes evenly spaced around the center, bag skirt) and there was not the same vibrating/rumbling sound. Thanks for the link

I haven't played with hovercraft for way too many years!

Admittedly my early attempts I didnt even create a proper bell chamber it was just an open cavity with a skirt and they were particually loud with two counter rotating propellers for lift.

Having a good model to start with would definitely been an advantage!

Times have changed understanding of the problems and solutions are much easier to find because if the internet ... enjoy :-)

1. What causes the vibration noise in hovercrafts?

The vibration noise in hovercrafts is typically caused by the interaction between the air cushion and the surrounding air. As the air is compressed and expelled from the cushion, it creates a disturbance in the surrounding air, resulting in noise.

2. How can the vibration noise in hovercrafts be reduced?

There are a few ways to reduce the vibration noise in hovercrafts. One option is to improve the design of the air cushion, such as adding padding or altering the shape of the skirt. Another option is to use noise-absorbing materials on the hull of the hovercraft. Additionally, regular maintenance and adjustments to the engine and propeller can also help reduce vibration noise.

3. Is hovercraft vibration noise harmful to humans?

While hovercraft vibration noise can be loud and potentially annoying, it is not harmful to humans. However, prolonged exposure to high levels of noise can lead to hearing damage, so it is important for operators and passengers to wear appropriate ear protection.

4. Can the vibration noise in hovercrafts be completely eliminated?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate vibration noise in hovercrafts, it can be significantly reduced through proper design, maintenance, and use of noise-absorbing materials. However, some level of noise will always be present due to the nature of hovercraft operation.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for hovercraft vibration noise?

There are currently no specific regulations or standards for hovercraft vibration noise. However, some countries have established noise limits for recreational watercraft that may apply to hovercrafts as well. It is important for operators to check with their local authorities for any noise regulations that may apply to hovercraft operation.