How a Absolute value Function can be continuous?

In summary, the confusion about an absolute function being called a continuous one is due to the misunderstanding of its limit and differentiability. While the function may not be differentiable at certain points, it can still be continuous as long as the limit of the function values exist and are equal to the value of the function at that point. This can be seen with the example of f(x) = |x|, which is continuous everywhere but not differentiable at x = 0 due to a cusp. The difference quotient, used to calculate the derivative, may not have a limit at that point, but this does not affect the continuity of the function.
sabyakgp
Hello friends,

I am quite confused how an absolute function is called a continuous one. f(x) = |x| has no limit at x=0 , that is when x > 0 it has a limit +1 {+.1, +.01, +.001} and -1 when x <0 {-.1, -.01, -.001} that is the reason it's not differentiable (left and right side limits are not the same, limit does not exist). But how then it can be continuous, for one of the essential conditions for continuity is that a limit must exist for the function at the specified value (in this case x=0)? I must admit that geometrically it's indeed a continuous function, but analytically I fail understand how it is so?

I have just started learning Calculus and not very strong in Maths and I think I must have got something wrong. Can you please help me?

Best Regards,
Sabya

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sabyakgp said:
Hello friends,

I am quite confused how an absolute function is called a continuous one. f(x) = |x| has no limit at x=0 , that is when x > 0 it has a limit +1 {+.1, +.01, +.001} and -1 when x <0 {-.1, -.01, -.001}

No. f(x) = |x| is continuous at x = 0 (in fact it's continuous everywhere) The simple way of looking at it is the following:

If you approach x = 0 from the righthand side, y approaches 0. If you approach x = 0 from the lefthand side, y still approaches 0. Also, f(0) = |0| = 0. So f(x) = |x| is continuous at 0. I'm not sure where you're getting a limit of +1 and -1?

sabyakgp said:
that is the reason it's not differentiable (left and right side limits are not the same, limit does not exist).

f(x) = |x| is not differentiable at x = 0, but not for the reason you listed. An easy way of looking at it is that there's a cusp at x = 0. There's no way to define a slope at this point. The more technical reason boils down to the difference quotient definition of the derivative.

sabyakgp said:
Hello friends,

I am quite confused how an absolute function is called a continuous one. f(x) = |x| has no limit at x=0 , that is when x > 0 it has a limit +1 {+.1, +.01, +.001} and -1 when x <0 {-.1, -.01, -.001} that is the reason it's not differentiable (left and right side limits are not the same, limit does not exist). But how then it can be continuous, for one of the essential conditions for continuity is that a limit must exist for the function at the specified value
You seem to be thinking that this means any limit involving the function must exist. That is not the case. The limit of the function values must exist (and be equal to the value of the function there) but it does NOT follow that the limit of the difference quotient must exist.

(in this case x=0)? I must admit that geometrically it's indeed a continuous function, but analytically I fail understand how it is so?

I have just started learning Calculus and not very strong in Maths and I think I must have got something wrong. Can you please help me?

Best Regards,
Sabya
You are confusing continuity and differentiability. f(x)= |x| definitely does have a limit at x= 0. If you take x= .1, .01, .001, etc., then f(x)= |x| has values of .1, .01, .001, etc. which are clearly converging to 0. In fact for x> 0, |x|= x so [itex]\lim_{x\to 0} |x|= \lim_{x\to 0}x[/itex] which is, of course, 0.

If you takle x= -1., -.01, -.001, etc., then f(x)= |x| has values of .1, .01, .001, etc. which again converge to 0. In fact, for any x< 0, |x|= -x so [itex]\lim_{x\to 0}|x|= \lim_{x\to 0}-x= -(\lim_{x\to 0}x[/itex] which is simply -0= 0. The two one sided limits are both 0 which is the value of |0| so |x| is continuous at x= 0 (and everywhere else).

When you talk about 1 or -1, you are thinking of the difference quotient which is used to calculate the derivative, not continuity. If h> 0 then (|0+h|- |0|)/h= |h|/h= h/h= 1 so, as h goes to 0, the limit is 1. If h< 0 then (|0+h|- |0|)/h= |h|/h= -h/h= -1 so, as h goes to 0, the limit is -1. The limit of the difference quotient at 0 does not exist so |x| is not differentiable at x= 0.

By the way, notice that the denominator of the difference quotient, h, always goes to 0. A "necessary" condition that the limit exist, then, is that the numerator, f(x+h)- f(x), also go to 0 which is the same as saying the function must be continuous- but the other direction does not work. For example, in the limit
[tex]\lim_{x\to 2}\frac{x- 2}{(x-2)^2}[/tex]
both numerator and denominator go to 0 but the limit does not exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot gb7nash and HallsofIvy. I was quite mistaken.

1. What is an absolute value function?

An absolute value function is a mathematical function that returns the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is denoted by enclosing the input variable in vertical bars, such as |x|.

2. How can an absolute value function be written as a piecewise function?

An absolute value function can be written as a piecewise function by breaking it into two parts: one for positive inputs and one for negative inputs. The positive part can be written as f(x) = x, while the negative part can be written as f(x) = -x. The two parts can then be combined with the absolute value symbol, resulting in f(x) = |x| = {x if x ≥ 0; -x if x < 0}.

3. What does it mean for an absolute value function to be continuous?

A continuous function is one that has no abrupt changes or gaps in its graph. For an absolute value function to be continuous, it means that its graph is a single, unbroken curve with no sharp turns or breaks. This indicates that the function has a smooth and predictable behavior.

4. How can the continuity of an absolute value function be determined?

The continuity of an absolute value function can be determined by checking the limit of the function at the point in question. If the limit from the left side is equal to the limit from the right side, the function is continuous. In the case of an absolute value function, this limit will always be equal, making it a continuous function.

5. Can an absolute value function ever be discontinuous?

No, an absolute value function can never be discontinuous. Since the limit of the function from the left side will always be equal to the limit from the right side, there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the function's graph, thus making it continuous.