How Accurate Is the Calculated Friction Force for a Sled Sliding Down a Hill?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
AlexPilk
Messages
26
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The length of a slope is 500 meters and it's height is 10 meters. 60 kg sled went down the slope. Find the average friction force if it's speed in the end = 8 m/s (the starting speed = 0)

Homework Equations


Ft=mv-mv0
t=S/v

The Attempt at a Solution


Ft=mv-mv0=60*8=480
Average speed = (8+0)/2=4
t=500/4=125
F=480/125=3.84 N
Weight=mg=600
600-friction=3.84
friction=596.16 N

Is it correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AlexPilk said:
F=480/125=3.84 N
Weight=mg=600
600-friction=3.84
You have calculated a propulsive force (F), right?
What direction does that act in?
What direction does mg act in?
(You might have noticed that you have not used the 10m height.)
 
haruspex said:
You have calculated a propulsive force (F), right?
What direction does that act in?
What direction does mg act in?
(You might have noticed that you have not used the 10m height.)
1.I think so, it's the force that accelerates the sled
2.Downwards
3. I do not really see use for the height of the slope

It looks like it makes sense, since I know the mass and acceleration I can calculate the overall force F, and friction works against mg, so the equation is correct, right?
 
AlexPilk said:
2.Downwards
As in vertically down? You obtained it by dividing momentum by time. What direction was the momentum in?