How are all of you so smart?

• Thread starter kraphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the members of this site are selfless and intelligent because they help other people with their homework. Stephen Hawking was able to get up Mt. Everest because he lost a physics bet. If you have the passion for mathematics and physics, you can also achieve great things.
kraphysics
I mean I am really impressed by the members of this site. I am new here and discovered it accidentally through google. Whenever I ask homework questions, I am impressed by the knowledge and intelligence of the posters. This site really helps me a lot because rather than just solving the problems, I end up learning something. How did you people become so selfless and smart?:smile:Edit: Oops sorry. I meant to place this in the "General Discussions" category! SOrry

Physics news on Phys.org
Do anything for years or decades and you'll get good at it.

Moved to GD. I think the Big question is.. how did we all get so smart AND so good looking!? :)

The same way a man standing on Everest got so high up. One step at a time.

If I have seen farther than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants are standing on my shoulders.

Antiphon said:
The same way a man standing on Everest got so high up. One step at a time.

Do you think they have a handicapped ramp available for Mt. Everest? If not, how did Stephen Hawking get up there??

Drakkith said:
Do you think they have a handicapped ramp available for Mt. Everest? If not, how did Stephen Hawking get up there??

He lost a physics bet.

jhae2.718 said:
If I have seen farther than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants are standing on my shoulders.
Brilliant!

But- If the giants are big enough they'll still see farther since your head will still be below their eye line. Maybe you're clinging from the hairline of giants?

As for not seeing as far, well we'll just let that one be.

I don't feel very smart. I just love mathematics, and I've done it for some years now. In my opinion, everybody can do mathematics and physics, they just need to get the passion for it.

1. How do you define intelligence?

Intelligence is a complex and multifaceted concept that is difficult to define in a single sentence. Generally, intelligence refers to the ability to acquire knowledge, reason, solve problems, adapt to new situations, and learn from experience.

2. Are some people born smarter than others?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about the role of genetics in determining intelligence. While some studies suggest that genetics may play a role, it is also widely accepted that environmental factors, such as education and upbringing, can also have a significant impact on a person's intelligence.

3. Is there a single measure for intelligence?

There is no universally agreed-upon measure for intelligence. Various tests, such as IQ tests, have been developed to measure different aspects of intelligence, but they are not without their criticisms and limitations. Additionally, intelligence can manifest in different ways and cannot be accurately captured by a single measure.

4. Can intelligence be improved?

While there is evidence to suggest that certain activities, such as reading and engaging in mentally stimulating tasks, can improve cognitive function, there is no definitive answer on whether intelligence can be improved. Some scientists argue that intelligence is largely determined by genetics and cannot be significantly altered, while others believe that it is malleable and can be enhanced through various interventions.

5. Are there different types of intelligence?

Yes, there are various theories that suggest there are multiple types of intelligence, such as emotional intelligence, creative intelligence, and practical intelligence. Each type may involve different cognitive abilities and skills and can be important in different contexts.