Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How are angles in molecules calculated?

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    I understand how angles are calculated in compounds where an atom is bonded to 2, 3, 5, and 6 bonds (bond pair + lone pair). But how do they work out the angle of a compound where an atom has 4 bonds (i.e. methane), in this case the carbon atom, has a H-C-H angle of 109.5°

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please elaborate, I fail to see how it is different.

4. Feb 22, 2017 #3
    In methane and any other compound containing an atoms which only has 4 bond pairs and 0 lone pairs of electrons. The bond between the three atoms (in the case of methane, it is the H-C-H bond angle), it is 109.5°, I was wondering how they worked that out.

5. Feb 22, 2017 #4

Borek

And how they worked out the value for water molecule, or for any other molecule with any number of bonds and/or lone pairs?

I don't see why you say you know how to deal with other molecules, but you think this particular molecule is different.

6. Feb 22, 2017 #5
    I'm not saying that, I'm asking how they first got the bond angles for an atom with 4 bond pairs, I'm just giving methane as an example.

7. Feb 22, 2017 #6

Borek

Sorry, I still fail to see where the problem is.

You know how to calculate angle for atom bonded to two other atoms. Can you explain how it is done?

You know how to calculate angle for atom bonded to three other atoms. Can you explain how it is done?

8. Feb 22, 2017 #7
  9. Feb 22, 2017 #8

Borek

We don't know what he is asking. That's what I am trying to find out.

10. Feb 22, 2017 #9
    Good call :cool:

11. Feb 23, 2017 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted