1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How are Bamboo Copter Toys Stabilized?

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1
    This is a Bamboo Copter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo-copter

So the key to building a stable one is that the "rod" part spun by the hand has to be heavy. However, a uniform force field cannot exert a torque on a rigid body. By elimination, I assume that external forces stabilize the system, so is it the "center of pressure"? the same as passively stabilized rockets? However, the fact that you want a heavier rod would seem to disagree with this, since a heavier rod pushes the CoM closer to the center of pressure at the center of the rod.

If so, does this mean that a bamboo copter that is spinning just fast enough to hover is not stable? or that a slower one (a falling bamboo copter) would flip over?

I don't have one on hand to test, and even if I did, I'm still more interested in the physical reasons for stability, since I'm trying to apply it to something else.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2018 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the thing leans over it will move sideways through the air due to the inclined thrust. With a heavy rod the centre of area/drag is above the centre of mass and this causes a torque that acts to restore the rod to the vertical.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted