How are magnetic fields created, what is capacitance energy and voltage

In summary, the conversation covers various questions about the relationship between magnetic and electric fields, the formation of magnetic fields from electric fields, and the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor. The conversation also touches on the concept of electric potential in circuits and the connection between electric and magnetic fields. The explanation for the "1/2" in the energy equation involves integration, and the relationship between electric and magnetic fields is demonstrated through the example of a moving observer.
wosman
Hello everyone, I hope this is in the right section. if not i'll be happy to move it.

Anyways i have a few questions about general concepts so this may be a lengthy one. Any and all help is REALLY appreciated.

I have attached two photos of something explaining the creation of a magnetic field from an electric field (note: the pictures should show magnetic fields going into the page with an 'x' where the wire is being pulled out and where current eddies are)

So from what I gather is if you change a magnetic or electric field the an electric or magnetic field forms, respectively.

I have no idea how this is happening. It shows a wire being pulled out of a magnetic field i believe and what i THINK happens is the the wire is being removed from the field which means the magnitude of the magnetic field acting on the wire is decreasing (thus changing?) and and this creates an electric field which creates a current (all of this happening magically?) and this current results in the formation of a magnetic field (does this imply anything with a current has a magnetic field?). The magnetic field then forms to 'replace' the loss of field strength from removing the wire from the previous field? Lenz' law seems to say that the new magnetic field will be opposing the inducing field..i don't know why, and certain examples (from the same book) seem to show the opposite where the newly formed magnetic field goes in the same direction as the inducing one.

2. Why is the equation for the energy stored in a capacitor U = 1/2QV. where did the "1/2" come from? certain explanations say "if you were to plot increasing V with increasing Q it would form a positive slope where the area underneath the slope is the energy. this is a triangle shape and thus you must divide the Q x V by 1/2. But this makes no sense to me since it would seem like one could then argue F = ma, thus if you increase a and increase m you will get a slope..and thus F = 1/2 ma, but this isn't true since you take an instantaneous a and m. So if we had a circuit with V = 2 and Q = 2, then why can't we simply say the energy is 2x2? like how grav. potential energy is U = mgh, not 1/2mgh

3. I know that V is the energy per single charge in an electric field depending on it's position 'd' in that field.

but what is V in relation to a circuit? where is the electric field coming from in the circuit? what is 'd' in relation to the field. Why is V change with resistance. I keep hearing fluid/water analogies which do not help.

Again, any help is super appreciated (I have been struggling with these 3 for 2 years (for my MCAT))

Attachments

• phys1.JPG
    phys1.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 426
  • phys2.JPG
    phys2.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 473
Physics news on Phys.org
when they move that loop in a B field the free electrons experience a force called the Lorentz force F=q(vxB) and when one electron moves it pushes the one in front of it because of their E field, so a current starts to flow around the loop. In classical E&M magnetic fields are produced by currents. the 1/2 comes from integration [itex] dw= \frac{qdq}{c} [/itex]
[itex] w= \frac{q^2}{2c} [/itex]
q=cV
suppose I am looking at a parallel plate capacitor at rest, I would see an E field . But now suppose I am moving by it at a speed v and I am moving perpendicular to the E field, I would see a Magnetic field because now I have a current a flow of electrons. Thats one way to get a B field from an E field.

Last edited:

What is a magnetic field and how is it created?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, within a material. These moving charges create a magnetic field around them.

What is capacitance energy and how is it related to voltage?

Capacitance energy is the energy stored in a capacitor, which is a device used to store electric charge. It is related to voltage in the sense that the higher the voltage, the greater the amount of charge that can be stored in the capacitor, thus increasing the capacitance energy.

How are magnetic fields and capacitance energy used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields are used in many everyday devices, such as speakers, motors, and credit cards. Capacitance energy is used in various electronic components, such as batteries, flash drives, and computers.

How can magnetic fields be manipulated?

Magnetic fields can be manipulated by using electric currents or by changing the orientation of permanent magnets. This is the principle behind devices such as electromagnets and magnetic compasses.

What is the difference between magnetic fields and electric fields?

Magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges, while electric fields are created by stationary electric charges. Additionally, magnetic fields are perpendicular to the direction of the moving charges, while electric fields are parallel to the direction of the stationary charges.