How are photons able to carry messages?

• Thread starter Timvanhoomissen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation centered around the use of simple particles, specifically photons, to transmit complex information such as music or video. One person suggested using quantum mechanics to analyze this process, while another recommended focusing on Maxwell's equations instead. It was explained that photons can be modulated to create a stream of digital bits, allowing for the transmission of various forms of information. However, it was also noted that this process can be complex and may require a step-by-step approach to fully understand. The use of photons in communication was discussed, with some noting that it can make explanations more approachable while others argued that it can add unnecessary complexity.
Timvanhoomissen
I'm having trouble understanding how simple particles can be received and then with that information translated into a song on the radio or a program on television. Any help?

Science news on Phys.org
Why would you try to use quantum mechanics to analyze something that is perfectly well described with classical mechanics? I would recommend just focusing on Maxwell's equations instead of QM.

Likes davenn
Timvanhoomissen said:
I'm having trouble understanding how simple particles can be received and then with that information translated into a song on the radio or a program on television. Any help?

Dale said:
Why would you try to use quantum mechanics to analyze something that is perfectly well described with classical mechanics?
Exactly ... as photons DONT carry messages

Oscillating voltages in the transmitter are sent to the antenna the antenna then radiates an electromagnetic wave that is picked up by the receiving antenna(s) it is converted back to a voltage that is then demodulated that then produces audio and video ( as in a TV) or just audio for an AM or FM radio station. Or info displayed on your mobile phone or other deviceDave

Timvanhoomissen said:
All information can be reduced to a stream of digital bits -1s and 0s -. And any physical thing that can be streamed between two points can be modulated to make a bit stream, provided there are enough of them. You could transmit pictures using a stream of ping pong balls. But it is simpler and much faster to use photons.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
All information can be reduced to a stream of digital bits -1s and 0s -. And any physical thing that can be streamed between two points can be modulated to make a bit stream, provided there are enough of them. You could transmit pictures using a stream of ping pong balls. But it is simpler and much faster to use photons.

AM

I think you missed the point of his mis-understanding ... reread Dale and my posts :smile:

Timvanhoomissen said:
It seems to me that you want too much, too quickly. Your post includes virtually the whole of communications theory and practice.
You need to go one step at a time. Dave's post gives you a partial list of some of the basic steps in a chain which allow music (or any other varying quantity) can be transmitted from a source to a receiver. Look at each of his steps in turn and formulate a question about it that can be answered.
You must expect for this to take a long time with many repeats. There will be many mistakes and misunderstands on the way. :smile:

Timvanhoomissen said:
Photons can have different energies corresponding to different frequencies. You can vary the energy/frequency to encode the signal.

davenn said:
I think you missed the point of his mis-understanding ... reread Dale and my posts :smile:
Maybe, but it seems to me that the original poster's difficulty is not with photons per se but with how complex information can be effectively carried by them. An individual photon cannot carry much information but a stream of them certainly can.

AM

Likes Ron G
Andrew Mason said:
the original poster's difficulty is not with photons per se
It's another demonstration of how people feel pressured to use 'photons' in any explanation of anything. It's as if it makes things more approachable but it's actually quite the opposite.
The only information that a single photon can carry is the fact that it existed and roughly the time it existed. A series of bursts of photons (a flashing light!) can be used to send Morse Code messages. That is easy to appreciate - much easier than the idea of 'digital' TV or sound - but it's a first stab. The brightness of light can be varied by the (analogue) light and dark stripes on the optical audio track on old film and those brightness variations can be used to move a loudspeaker coil to reproduce sound.
There's no end to it!

1) How do photons carry messages?

Photons are particles of light that are able to carry information or messages through electromagnetic waves. They can travel at the speed of light and can carry a variety of information such as colors, images, and data.

2) What is the process of using photons to carry messages?

The process of using photons to carry messages involves encoding the information onto the electromagnetic waves. This can be done through various methods such as amplitude modulation, frequency modulation, or phase modulation. The photons then travel through the medium, such as fiber optics, to reach their destination.

3) How are photons able to travel long distances without losing information?

Photons are able to travel long distances without losing information because they are not affected by external factors such as gravity or magnetic fields. They also have very little interaction with other particles, allowing them to maintain their energy and information over long distances.

4) Can photons carry messages in any medium?

Yes, photons can carry messages in any medium that can transmit electromagnetic waves. This includes air, water, and even vacuum. However, certain materials, such as fiber optics, are more efficient in transmitting photons and are commonly used for communication purposes.

5) How do we receive and decode messages carried by photons?

To receive and decode messages carried by photons, we use devices such as antennas, photodiodes, and lasers. These devices are able to detect the electromagnetic waves and convert them into electrical signals, which can then be decoded by computers or other communication devices.