How bad does taking five years to graduate look?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential concerns and implications of taking five years to graduate from college, specifically for graduate school applications. The speaker, a rising junior majoring in neuroscience, is considering taking extra time to graduate in order to take additional courses in math, physics, and computer science, as well as to prepare for a GRE subject test. They ask for advice on how this may affect their graduate school prospects. The response is that as long as the extra time is used to improve their academic profile, it should not be a major concern for graduate schools. However, it may be more of an issue if the extra time is due to failing courses or taking a light course load without a valid reason. The speaker also mentions their need to work
DeuteriumDude
Hey guys, I have heard that taking five years to graduate is frowned upon by grad schools. Is this true, and if so, to what extent? Let me take a minute to explain my situation. I'm a rising junior, and I only decided to become a science major a year ago. I'm a neuroscience major (but you physics folks seem to be pretty knowledgeable about academics in all the sciences). I want to do a PhD in neuroscience after I graduate. Just finishing my major won't be a problem, but I feel like I might lack some upper level science electives. Also, I am becoming increasingly interested in computational neuroscience, and I'd like to take some more math and physics courses, as well as a computer science class or two (I've never taken computer science). Furthermore, I need to take a GRE subject test, and I won't have enough of anyone subject. If I do the chemistry one, I'll lack physical chemistry; if I do the math one, I'll lack abstract algebra and some other stuff. How bad would it look if I took an extra semester or two to graduate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering you are changing majors late in your college years, I don't think it'll be a problem at all, especially if you're using the extra time to build up added courses you'll need for your graduate programs.

Taking 5 years to graduate is more of a concern if the reason is 1) you had to retake a lot of courses you failed the first time, or 2) you were taking light course loads without some good reason for it (a good reason being something like having to work a full-time job to pay for school in addition to your classes).

Moonbear said:
Considering you are changing majors late in your college years, I don't think it'll be a problem at all, especially if you're using the extra time to build up added courses you'll need for your graduate programs.

Taking 5 years to graduate is more of a concern if the reason is 1) you had to retake a lot of courses you failed the first time, or 2) you were taking light course loads without some good reason for it (a good reason being something like having to work a full-time job to pay for school in addition to your classes).

What about just working attending school half-time/working half-time? That's my situation. I have to work to support myself to live. I've had the Pell Grant the last two years.

Thanks Moonbear! Do you think it would be worth the extra time just so I can take enough of one subject to do well on a GRE subject test?

First of all, it's important to note that there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. Different graduate schools and programs may have different opinions on the matter, and ultimately, it will depend on the individual applicant's overall academic and research experience.

That being said, taking five years to graduate may not necessarily be viewed as a negative by all graduate schools. In fact, many students take longer than the traditional four years to complete their undergraduate degree, and it is not uncommon for graduate programs to see applicants who have taken five or even six years to graduate.

In your case, taking an extra semester or two to graduate may actually work in your favor. It shows that you are dedicated to your academic and career goals and that you are willing to take the time to gain the necessary skills and knowledge in your field. Additionally, your interest in taking additional math, physics, and computer science courses to supplement your neuroscience major shows a well-rounded and interdisciplinary approach to your education.

It is also important to keep in mind that graduate schools are looking for more than just a specific number of credits or courses. They are interested in your overall academic performance, research experience, and potential for success in their program. If you can demonstrate your passion for neuroscience and your ability to excel in your chosen field, taking an extra semester or two to graduate should not be a major concern.

However, it is always important to check the specific requirements and preferences of the graduate programs you are interested in. Some may have a strict timeline for completing undergraduate degrees, while others may be more flexible. It may also be helpful to reach out to current graduate students or faculty in your desired program to get their insights on the matter.

In summary, while taking five years to graduate may not be viewed favorably by all graduate schools, it is not necessarily a negative factor in your application. As long as you can demonstrate your dedication, passion, and potential for success in your chosen field, an extra semester or two to graduate should not greatly impact your chances of being accepted into a PhD program in neuroscience.

1. How will taking five years to graduate affect my job prospects?

Taking five years to graduate may not necessarily impact your job prospects negatively. Employers are more interested in your skills, experience, and qualifications rather than the length of time it took you to graduate. However, if you took longer to graduate due to academic struggles or multiple retakes, it may raise some concerns for employers.

2. Will taking five years to graduate affect my future education opportunities?

It is possible that taking five years to graduate may affect your future education opportunities, especially if you plan on pursuing a graduate degree. Some programs may look at your undergraduate transcript and question why it took you longer to graduate. However, if you have a valid reason for taking five years, such as pursuing a double major or studying abroad, it may not have a significant impact.

3. How will taking five years to graduate affect my student loans?

Taking five years to graduate may result in a higher amount of student loan debt, as you will have an extra year of tuition and expenses. However, if you took longer to graduate due to financial struggles, you may have already been taking out loans to cover your expenses. In this case, taking five years may not have a significant impact on your student loans.

4. Is taking five years to graduate common?

It is becoming increasingly common for students to take more than four years to graduate. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, only 41% of students who enrolled in a four-year bachelor's degree program in 2012 completed their degree within four years. There are various reasons for this, including changing majors, taking a break from school, or working while studying.

5. How can I explain taking five years to graduate to potential employers?

If you are concerned about how taking five years to graduate may look to potential employers, you can explain your situation by highlighting the skills, experiences, and accomplishments you gained during your extra year of studies. You can also mention any challenges or obstacles you faced and how you overcame them. Be honest and confident in your explanation, and most employers will understand and appreciate your dedication and determination to complete your degree.