How Bohr's angular momentum formula derived?

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of Bohr's angular momentum formula, which is postulated rather than derived in the Bohr model. The formula is based on the principles of angular momentum and kinetic energy, and understanding the intuition behind it may take some time. It was also mentioned that some of Bohr's postulates do not follow quantum mechanics.
nafizkarim

Homework Statement

Can anyone figure out how Bohr's angular momentum formula nh/2pie is derived? I can't figure it out. I know it has something to do with angular momentum= which is mvr, and Kinetic energy which is mv^2/2. lol, I am stumped.

Homework Equations

angular momentum= which is mvr, and Kinetic energy which is mv^2/2. l

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
Can anyone figure out how Bohr's angular momentum formula nh/2pie is derived?

Angular momentum =nh/2π is postulated, not derived, in the Bohr model.

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~rt19/hydro/node2.html
http://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/christensen//Physics%20106/Graphics/Bohr%20Model%20Postulates.htm

A fair question would be, what was Bohr's motivation for postulating the quantization of angular momentum? That I do not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot. That helped a lot. It will take me a while to truly understand the intuition behind the formula. From what I understand, some of Bohr's Postulates do not follow quantum mechanics. I'm still kind of sketchy with the formula, but thanks for your help, it was a big hint.

1. What is Bohr's angular momentum formula?

Bohr's angular momentum formula is a mathematical equation that describes the momentum of an electron in an atom. It is given by L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, and r is the distance between the electron and the nucleus.

2. Why is Bohr's angular momentum formula important?

Bohr's angular momentum formula is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in an atom. It also provides a basis for understanding the energy levels and stability of atoms.

3. How was Bohr's angular momentum formula derived?

Bohr's angular momentum formula was derived by Niels Bohr in 1913 based on his atomic model, which described the structure of the atom and the behavior of electrons. He incorporated the principles of classical mechanics and the laws of electromagnetism to develop the formula.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving Bohr's angular momentum formula?

The assumptions made in deriving Bohr's angular momentum formula include the assumption that the electron moves in a circular orbit around the nucleus, the assumption that the electron's energy is quantized, and the assumption that the electron's angular momentum is equal to an integer multiple of h/2π, where h is Planck's constant.

5. How is Bohr's angular momentum formula used in modern science?

Bohr's angular momentum formula is still used in modern science as a basis for understanding the structure and behavior of atoms. It is also used in fields such as quantum mechanics and spectroscopy to calculate and analyze the energy and angular momentum of particles in motion.