How can E&M Waves be polarized?

• Thread starter astromajor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m Waves
In summary, polarization involves blocking out certain directions of light waves, based on the direction of their electric fields.
astromajor
I'm learning about polarization and something has me a little confused. I feel like I understand polarization: blocking out all the light except for those waves in a particular direction: horizontal, vertical, e.g. But if a "single" light wave is made of a propagating electric and magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other, how can you just block out one of those directions? If you blocked the direction the magnetic wave was traveling, for example, wouldn't that cease the electric portion as well and therefore no light would get through? Thanks for your help!

Science news on Phys.org
astromajor said:
I'm learning about polarization and something has me a little confused. I feel like I understand polarization: blocking out all the light except for those waves in a particular direction: horizontal, vertical, e.g. But if a "single" light wave is made of a propagating electric and magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other, how can you just block out one of those directions? If you blocked the direction the magnetic wave was traveling, for example, wouldn't that cease the electric portion as well and therefore no light would get through? Thanks for your help!

By definition, polarization describes the direction in which the E-field points. Blocking out horizontal polarization means blocking out light waves whose E-fields oscillate horizontally, leaving only light waves whose E-fields oscillate vertically. It's always a given that the B-field is perpendicular to the E-field for a given polarization state. Therefore, mentioning the B-field direction is redundant/unnecessary.

Last edited:

1. What is polarization of E&M waves?

Polarization of E&M waves refers to the direction of the electric field oscillation of the wave. It can be either linear, circular, or elliptical.

2. How can E&M waves be polarized?

E&M waves can be polarized by passing them through a polarizing filter, which only allows waves with a specific orientation of the electric field to pass through.

3. Why is polarization of E&M waves important?

Polarization of E&M waves is important because it affects how the waves interact with materials and how they can be used in various applications such as communication, imaging, and detecting objects.

4. Can E&M waves be polarized in all directions?

No, E&M waves can only be polarized in certain directions depending on their source and the medium they are passing through. For example, natural light from the sun is unpolarized, but can be polarized by passing through certain materials or filters.

5. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to the electric field oscillating in a single plane, while circular polarization refers to the electric field rotating in a circular motion. Circular polarization can be further classified as either right-handed or left-handed, depending on the direction of rotation.