1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can E&M Waves be polarized?

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    I'm learning about polarization and something has me a little confused. I feel like I understand polarization: blocking out all the light except for those waves in a particular direction: horizontal, vertical, e.g. But if a "single" light wave is made of a propagating electric and magnetic field, which are perpendicular to each other, how can you just block out one of those directions? If you blocked the direction the magnetic wave was traveling, for example, wouldn't that cease the electric portion as well and therefore no light would get through? Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By definition, polarization describes the direction in which the E-field points. Blocking out horizontal polarization means blocking out light waves whose E-fields oscillate horizontally, leaving only light waves whose E-fields oscillate vertically. It's always a given that the B-field is perpendicular to the E-field for a given polarization state. Therefore, mentioning the B-field direction is redundant/unnecessary.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook