How can I apply the concept of singularity to the matrix AB and BA?

  • Thread starter Thread starter seyma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
seyma
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a trouble in this proof;
Let A be an m[tex]\times[/tex]n matrix and B n[tex]\times[/tex]m matrix. If m[tex]\neq[/tex]n show that at least one of the matrices AB and BA is singular.

Homework Equations



If it is singular not invertible and det=0 but how can I apply this question?

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
First assume that m< n. Then A is a linear transformation from Rm to Rn with m< n and so cannot map Rm onto Rn: it maps Rm into an at most m dimensional subspace of Rn. B maps all of Rn into Rm. Let v be vector in Rn that is NOT in the image of A. (AB)v= A(Bv) is in the image of A and so cannot be equal to v.

If n< m, reverse A and B.