Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I build a broadband ISP by myself ?

1. Oct 25, 2006 #1
    My country highiest broadband speed is only 2 Mb/s but I heard that some country has up to 100 Mb/s broadband speed . So, I wondered if I can become an isp with such speed but I don't know how ?
    Do I need to have a lot of ip ?
    What is the hardware/software requirement ? A
    nyone can give me the details of building a broadband isp .

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2006 #2
    Yeap anything is possible.

First up, you will need to dig huge trenches to lay cables throughout your country, then lay the cables. Alternatively you could hire bandwidth on existing cables from an already establish provider who is also acting as a wholesaler. Costing you Millions to Billions of Euro's depending on what you want

Next you will need to build what we call POP's or Exchanges at strategic locations through out your country, probably you could house your Millions of Euros worth of equipment in existing Telecom companies point of presences, or you could build out your own.

The you will need to create your core layer of equipment, something like ATM over Fiber, or whatever you choose, with very expensive Routers and Multi-layer switches. You will then need to contract with An Internet Exchange to use an exchange, or alternatively invest millions more in starting your own one. At the internet exchange you will route traffic between your ISP and other ISPs.

You will also need to buy a block of IP address from interNIC to use around your network.

You will also need to hire 100 of engineers to set up all this for you and maintain it after.

This project of yours will involve millions of Euros (maybe even more if you want to start from scratch) of Investment, and years to complete. Not to mention years of experience to understand the requirements and more to competently implement the deliverables.

Good luck :smile:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  4. Oct 26, 2006 #3
    If I want to build a wireless broadband ,then do I nedd to lay the cables ?

5. Oct 26, 2006 #4
    No but now you need several quarter billion dollar satellites :biggrin:

6. Oct 27, 2006 #5
    Latency is to high on Satellites, not very good for converged networks. I would suggest he starts digging :biggrin:

And yes you would still need to lay cables at your core layer, and from your radio stations to your core, even if you want to use Wireless for the last mile. On top of that most Frequencies are used/or patented I believe.

Regardless you will need to invest Millions and Millions of Euros.

I would suggest you plant both your feet back on Earth, buy some books and read about Internetworking, and telecoms because this is crackpot stuff.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  7. Oct 27, 2006 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, but it would probably save him money if he could just lease the bandwidth from an existing satellite provider and then do wi-fi for the last mile. I'm sure he could do it pretty cheap: certainly not much more than a billion dollars. :uhh:

Come to think of it, I've been considering building a low-latency satellite network by using a few dozen satellites in low earth orbit rather than a handful of satellites in geostationary. I could use some start-up capital...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  8. Oct 27, 2006 #7
    What is the country are you living in?

9. Oct 27, 2006 #8

Evo

High Speed Wireless Broadband in the US is mainly provided through cellular towers, not satellite, again millions to billions of dollars depending on the geographic territory.

10. Oct 27, 2006 #9
    Depends on the density.
    About a decade ago a company in the San Francisco bay area called Metricom developed a low cost transmitter/receiver that could be plugged into lantern posts, they were one of the first companies who provided a wireless internet solution network.

11. Oct 27, 2006 #10

Evo

In the US, the two major highspeed wireless braodband companies are Sprint and Verizon with around 75 million subscribers. It's cellular.

12. Dec 7, 2006 #11
    If I just want to provide wireless brodband in a school or in a range of several meters only , what do i need . And please suggest a few book on how to build an isp for me . Actually what determine the speed of an internet connection ?

13. Dec 7, 2006 #12

russ_watters

If you already have a wired broadband connection to the school, you just need a wireless router...

14. Dec 7, 2006 #13

Evo

If you want to be an ISP, you'll need to buy access to the internet that you will then resell to subscribers. Depending on how many subscirbers you think you can get and how much bandwidth you want to guarantee them, etc....I've seen ISP's that will subscribe as many as 300 customers to single T1 (1.544MB). They oversubscribe counting on the fact that not all customers will connect at the same time, which is why if you use an ISP that resells service you see your connection slow down during peak connections times. You're going to need equipment - routers and switches. You're going to need to know what you're doing, good luck reading that in a book. I am sure there must be some, why don't you try doing a search in something like google?

Russ answered your question about providing wireless service to a campus envirronment, once you have a company install your connection to the internet (which is not free), you then need the appropriate equipment.

The amount of bandwidth delivered to you by the company you buy from is determined by what speed you order, it is as simple as that. You want a T1, they'll give you a T1 (of course if you buy from a reseller, it is unlikely they will actually guarantee you a T1, you will actually share that connection with other subscribers), be wary of bargain "deals".

Once you get internet access, the amount of bandwidth you carve out and deliver to your subscribers will be controlled by your equipment.

I work for a company that is an internet backbone provider. My largest clients are ISP's and telephone companies.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  15. Dec 9, 2006 #14
    Speed is a combination of Bandwidth and Latency.

Bandwidth is the rate that data can optimally flow accross a network, (but never does).

Latency is the time between a service request and Service Delivery, or rather an information request and its delivery.

FedEx is currently the fastest, I've seen them move TB's > 5000 Miles between LA and Europe over night. In theory they could move EB's this distance too, infact as many Bytes as you can fit in their 747's :biggrin:

16. Dec 9, 2006 #15

Evo

I think he was asking how the bandwidth speed would be determined if he were to act as an ISP, not how fast data can theoretically travel.

If you just want to play with speed tests, In 2003, my company was part of a test that was able to send 1 terabyte of data from Sunnyvale, Calif., to Geneva at a sustained rate of 2.38G bit/sec for more than one hour, said Harvey Newman, a professor of physics at Caltech. This speed beats the current record by a factor of 2.5and is equivalent to the data rate needed to send 200 full length DVD movies in one hour or one movie in 18 seconds.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2003/0317reseasetd.html

The speed is limited by the hardware at this time.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  17. Dec 11, 2006 #16
    if I want to build an high speed isp(10Mbps) from scratch ,not buying anything from existing isp or any company , and it is for 100 customer only .how many budget I need ? What is an exchange ?

18. Dec 12, 2006 #17
    You need Billions of Euros

19. Dec 13, 2006 #18
    What is an exchange ?Is it my computer need to have internet connection first before I can become an ISP.Then how can my computer have internet connection without using any other ISP services?

20. Dec 14, 2006 #19
    No an Internet exchange is a place where different AS (autonomous systems) exchange traffic with one another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_exchange_point

Its like a crossroad on the internet, which facilitates far faster layer3 switching between AS, using BGP than that which would be enabled through using a "in-between" AS. Plus I doubt an AS would allow you to do that, without billing you heavily.

Your *computer* cant have an internet connection without using an ISP.

Maybe you can send the London INX an email asking if you can plug your computer into there network :biggrin: just a thought
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Internet_Exchange

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  21. Dec 14, 2006 #20
    Then how an isp can have the internet connection without using other isp services . If the isp don't have any internet connection first , how can they distribute the internet connection to their user ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?