Effect of Special Relativity on Spacecraft Thrust & Isp

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Special Relativity to calculate the relativistic mass of a spacecraft traveling at 1% of the speed of light. The question is raised about the effective thrust and Specific impulse from an outside observer's perspective. The formula for force in Special Relativity is given as F = (1 + γ^2 * v * vt) * γ * m * a, where vt is the transpose of the velocity vector. However, this formula does not account for the changing velocity of the spacecraft. A more accurate formula is F = γ^3 * m * a, where γ is the Lorentz factor and a is the proper acceleration. The distance and time traveled by the spacecraft in the outside observer's
Sebastiaan
Let's say I have a Space craft traveling at 1% of speed of light and at rest speed it has an thrust of 600 kN with Specific impulse at 1.000.000s. We know we can calculate the relatavistic mass of the vessel with Einstein Special Relativity : γ = 1 / (1 - v2 / c2 )0.5 = 1.00005.

Now the question is: what would be the effective thrust and Isp from an outside observer at rest speed?

My initial though would be 1/ 1.00005 * 600 kN = 599.9699 but this seems too high as I heard Special Relativity only applies for bodies at constant speed, so I need something better

According to this document, the relatavistic version of Newton F = m * a would be
F = (1 + γ^2 * v * vt) γ * m * a

but how to calculate vt?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sebastiaan said:
what would be the effective thrust and Isp from an outside observer at rest speed?

I assume you mean an observer relative to whom the spacecraft is moving at 0.01c?

Sebastiaan said:
I heard Special Relativity only applies for bodies at constant speed

I don't know where you "heard" this (you should always give references for statements like this), but it's wrong. SR works just fine for accelerating bodies, as long as there is no gravity present.

Sebastiaan said:
how to calculate vt?

The ##v## and ##v^t## in that formula are a column vector and a row vector, respectively; ##v^t## is the "transpose" of ##v##, what you get when you take a column vector and convert it into a row vector. The force ##F## in the formula is a matrix, not a number; it has to be because, as the article says, in SR the force is not always parallel to the acceleration.

In your case, if we assume that the spacecraft 's thrust is always in exactly the same direction as it is already traveling, then we can ignore those complications and just say that ##F = \left( 1 + \gamma^2 v^2 \right) \gamma m a##, where ##m## is the rest mass (so ##\gamma m## is the relativistic mass that you calculated). Since ##1 + \gamma^2 v^2 = \gamma^2##, this simplifies to ##F = \gamma^3 m a##.

However, this doesn't necessarily answer your question. See follow-up post.

Likes Sebastiaan
PeterDonis said:
I don't know where you "heard" this (you should always give references for statements like this), but it's wrong. SR works just fine for accelerating bodies, as long as there is no gravity present.
I got is from Einstein specialrelativity for dumies
Andrew Zimmerman Jones and Daniel Robbins said:
Special relativity includes only the special case (hence the name) where the motion is uniform. The motion it explains is only if you’re traveling in a straight line at a constant speed. As soon as you accelerate or curve — or do anything that changes the nature of the motion in any way — special relativity ceases to apply. That’s where Einstein’s general theory of relativity comes in, because it can explain the general case of any sort of motion
I guess this is a bad source

Sebastiaan said:
what would be the effective thrust and Isp from an outside observer at rest speed?

What I assume you mean is, if we assume that the spacecraft itself feels a constant thrust of 600 kN for 1,000,000 seconds of time by the spacecraft 's own clock, what thrust will the outside observer see the spacecraft producing, and for how long by the outside observer's clock?

If that is what you mean, then the formula for force that you gave (with the clarifications I gave) is not enough by itself to answer this question. Why not? Because the spacecraft 's speed as seen by the outside observer is not constant. So we first need to figure out how the spacecraft 's speed changes.

For simplicity I'll consider the case where the spacecraft starts out at rest relative to the outside observer, turns on its engine, and exerts 600 kN of thrust for 1,000,000 seconds by its clock. You haven't given the spacecraft 's rest mass, so I'll assume that it's 60,000 kg, or 60 metric tons; that gives a proper acceleration (i.e., acceleration felt by the spacecraft 's crew) of 10 N/kg = 10 m/s^2, or about 1 g.

Now we use a very nice trick for describing the motion of the spacecraft in the outside observer's frame. The product of the proper acceleration ##a## (10 m/s^2) and the time ##\tau## by the spacecraft 's clock gives what is called the "rapidity", ##w = a \tau##. The speed of the spacecraft , as seen by the outside observer, is the hyperbolic tangent of ##w##, ##v = \tanh w##. Using properties of hyperbolic functions combined with ##\gamma = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2}##, we find that ##\gamma = \cosh w## and ##\gamma v = \sinh w##. So now we can rewrite everything in terms of ##w##. The force becomes

$$
F = \gamma^3 m a = \cosh^3 w m a
$$

where ##ma## is just our 600 kN. The distance ##x## that the spacecraft covers in the outside observer's frame, and the time ##t## elapsed in that frame to cover that distance, are given by

$$
x = \frac{1}{a} \left( \cosh w - 1 \right)
$$

$$
t = \frac{1}{a} \sinh w
$$

And the range of ##w## that the ship covers is simply zero to ##a \tau## for ##\tau## equal to 1,000,000 seconds, the time elapsed on the spacecraft 's clock. These formulas should be sufficient to answer your question.

Likes Battlemage!
Sebastiaan said:
I guess this is a bad source

Yes, it is. A good rule of thumb is to look in actual textbooks or peer-reviewed papers. Pop science articles are highly variable and often can't be trusted, as you have found here.

PeterDonis said:
These formulas should be sufficient to answer your question.

You explain it very well but I still don't fully understand how to apply it effectively. Could you please give an actual example putting these formula into practice?

What would be the effective thrust of the vessel (with a thrust of 600 kN from it own point of reference) traveling at 0.01c for an outside observer at speed 0?

Sebastiaan said:
What would be the effective thrust of the vessel (with a thrust of 600 kN from it own point of reference) traveling at 0.01c for an outside observer at speed 0?

We have ##ma = 600 \text{kN}##, and ##\gamma = 1.00005## (the value you calculated earlier for a speed of 0.01c). Those values you can plug into the formula for ##F## given earlier (the one in terms of ##\gamma##, not ##\cosh w##).

However, that only gives you ##F## for one particular instant, the instant at which the vessel is traveling at 0.01c relative to the outside observer. Since your original question included specific impulse, i.e., a time, you need to know more than just the thrust at one particular instant. You need to know how things vary with time. That's why I gave more general formulas for how things change with time.

PeterDonis said:
We have ##ma = 600 \text{kN}##, and ##\gamma = 1.00005## (the value you calculated earlier for a speed of 0.01c). Those values you can plug into the formula for ##F## given earlier (the one in terms of ##\gamma##, not ##\cosh w##).

However, that only gives you ##F## for one particular instant, the instant at which the vessel is traveling at 0.01c relative to the outside observer. Since your original question included specific impulse, i.e., a time, you need to know more than just the thrust at one particular instant. You need to know how things vary with time. That's why I gave more general formulas for how things change with time.
Well for your information, I will calculate the effective thrust every frame (which range between 1/30 sec to 100000000 sec).
I underatand it becomes inaccurate at higher time frames but that's ok.

So from my understanding ma = F / y3

F = 600.000 * 1.000.000 * 9.80665 * 0.5 = 294,1995 GJ

ma = 294,1995 / 1.00005 3 = 294.15553

the observable thrust would therefore be 0.99985 * 600 kN= 599.91 kN

to ensure the same amount of fuel is used, the Isp would have to be adjusted by the same factor

Correct?

Sebastiaan said:
So from my understanding ma = F / y3

No, ##ma## is constant; it is the thrust that the spacecraft actually feels, which is 600 kN. ##F## is the thrust that the outside observer sees the spacecraft exerting.

Sebastiaan said:
F = 600.000 * 1.000.000 * 9.80665 * 0.5 = 294,1995 GJ

I have no idea where you are getting this from. ##F = \gamma^3 m a##. If ##\gamma = 1.00005## and ##ma = 600##, then we have ##F = 1.00015 * 600 = 600.09##.

Sebastiaan said:
to ensure the same amount of fuel is used, the Isp would have to be adjusted by the same factor

No, the Isp seen by the outside observer is the total time that the thrust is exerted by the spacecraft , as seen in the outside observer's frame. To calculate that, you need to calculate ##t## using the formula I gave earlier, for the value ##w = a \tau## corresponding to ##\tau = 1,000,000##. To calculate that, you need to know ##a##, not just ##ma##, which means you need to know ##m##, the rest mass of the spacecraft . I assumed that was 60 metric tons earlier. Note also that that formula for ##t##, like all the formulas I gave earlier, assumes that the spacecraft starts from rest in the outside observer's frame. I have not verified that the spacecraft will actually reach a speed of 0.01c within 1,000,000 seconds of its own time at the thrust given (doing that also requires knowing ##a## and hence ##m##).

PeterDonis said:
. ##F = \gamma^3 m a##. If ##\gamma = 1.00005## and ##ma = 600##, then we have ##F = 1.00015 * 600 = 600.09##..

huh, I'm confused. I though the vessel would accerate less the closer it neared the speed of light, making it impossible to go faster than it. How can the Force be actualy be higher the faster you travel?

Edit: That would mean you pull out 0.09 kN from nowehere. It needs to slow down by 0.09 / 600 = 0.015 % to maintain the law of conservation

Last edited:
Sebastiaan said:
I though the vessel would accerate less the closer it neared the speed of light

"Accelerate" is ambiguous. The proper acceleration--the acceleration actually felt by the spacecraft and its crew--is constant; it is 600 kN divided by the rest mass of the spacecraft . The coordinate acceleration in the outside observer's frame--the rate at which the spacecraft 's speed in that frame changes with time in that frame--does decrease as the vessel speeds up. See below.

Sebastiaan said:
How can the Force be actualy be higher the faster you travel?

"Force" is also ambiguous. The force felt by the spacecraft is constant--600 kN, the thrust exerted by the engines. But you were asking about the force as measured by the outside observer. It turns out that I was mistaken in saying that increases; it is also constant! I had misinterpreted the formula in the Usenet Physics FAQ article you linked to; it was using ##a## to mean ##dv/dt##, the rate of change of the vessel's speed with respect to time in the outside observer's frame. So let's re-calculate.

We have the speed ##v## of the vessel in the outside observer's frame given by ##v = \tanh w##. We also have, from the formula I gave earlier for ##t##, ##w = \sinh^{-1} a t##. (These formulas aren't affected by my misinterpretation of the article that I just referred to.) Putting these together gives (note that I am here using units where ##c = 1##, as I did in previous posts; at the end I'll show what happens when we put the factors of ##c## back in):

$$
v = \frac{at}{\sqrt{1 + a^2 t^2}}
$$

We then simply take the derivative of this with respect to ##t## to get, after some algebra:

$$
\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{a}{\left( 1 + a^2 t^2 \right)^{3/2}}
$$

where ##dv / dt## is the vessel's coordinate acceleration in the outside observer's frame. Notice that this decreases as ##t## increases.

We can go further and rewrite the above in terms of ##\gamma##, by observing that ##\gamma = \cosh w = \sqrt{1 + \sinh^2 w} = \sqrt{1 + a^2 t^2}##. This means that

$$
v = \frac{at}{\gamma}
$$

and

$$
\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{a}{\gamma^3}
$$

If we then substitute this into the (properly interpreted) formula from the article, which is ##F = \gamma^3 m dv/dt##, we get ##F = m a##! That is, the force as measured by the outside observer is constant, and the same as the force felt by the spacecraft crew. (Here I am using ##a## to mean the proper acceleration, and ##dv/dt## to mean the coordinate acceleration, to avoid confusion.) What is going on here is that the decrease in ##dv/dt## as the ship speeds up is exactly compensated by the increase in mass of the ship as seen by the outside observer, plus the effects of time dilation. (See the discussion of Isp below.) Sorry for the mixup on my part in misstating this before; it's been a while since I worked through this from the outside observer's viewpoint.

We can also see that

$$
\frac{d\gamma}{dt} = \frac{a^2 t}{\sqrt{1 + a^2 t^2}} = a v
$$

Putting this together with the equation for ##dv/dt## tells us that

$$
\frac{d \left( \gamma v \right)}{dt} = v \frac{d\gamma}{dt} + \gamma \frac{dv}{dt} = a v^2 + \frac{a}{\gamma^2} = a
$$

So we can rewrite our equation for ##F## as ##F = m d\left( \gamma v \right) / dt = m dp/dt##, where ##p## is the momentum of the spacecraft in the outside observer's frame. This formula is useful because it generalizes, without any modification, to the case where ##F## and ##p## are vectors, i.e., to the case where the force is not parallel to the velocity.

Finally, what about Isp? Unlike the force above, that is different for the outside observer vs. the spacecraft and its crew. The formula I gave for ##t## above applies: for ##\tau = 1,000,000##, and assuming a spacecraft rest mass of 60 tons, so ##a = 10##, we have (adding factors of ##c## where needed to make the units come out right--I was using units where ##c = 1## in the previous formulas):

$$
t = \frac{c}{a} \sinh \left( \frac{a \tau}{c} \right) = \frac{1}{10} 299,792,458 \sinh \left( \frac{10,000,000}{299,792,458} \right) = 1,000,185
$$

So the ship's fuel burn will last an extra 185 seconds according to the outside observer. Also, the ship's speed when the burn finishes, according to the outside observer, will be (again adding back the factors of ##c##):

$$
\frac{v}{c} = \frac{at}{\sqrt{c^2 + a^2 t^2}} = 0.033344
$$

So the ship, starting from rest, would indeed reach (and exceed) 1% of the speed of light during the burn.

Alright, I understand now that calculating Force is not very useful for my point of reference as it stays the same

But what it is essential for you to understand is that I'm dealing with a space simulation (KSP) that has no concept if time dilation. It processes everything in time frames of 0.02 seconds and higher (for time warp)

What I need is the amount of acceleration within a specific amount of time in the coordinate system at rest, which you call dv / dt (=delta velocity divided by delta time)

Now let's say we want to calculate the proper acceleration for a vessel currently traveling at 0.01c with rest mass 600 mT and 600 kN, with delta time = 0.02 seconds (normal time progression)

So my acceleration a = 600,000 kg / 600,000 Newton = 1 m/s2

Now rewriting your formula dv / dt = a / y3 to dv = (a / y3) dt

Enter our data dt = 0.02 and get:

dv = (1 / 1.000053) 0.02 = 0.019997 m/s speed increase in the coordinate system at rest.

Although from the vessel point of view, it would still accelerate at 1 m/s and for t = 0.02 that would be 0.02 m

But in our simulation, everything runs in the same time speed

This would mean we have to slow down the vessel in the opposite direction it is traveling.

Now we could achieve this either by applying a force opposite in the direction it is traveling or by reducing the effective thrust by 0.015%

In both vases would reduce the Effective Thrust (for the simulation)

However, reducing the effective thrust will reduce the amount of effective fuel used proportionally by the same amount.

But now I have a contradiction as the reduced fuel spend is more than the reduced amount of fuel spend due to standard time dilation at 0.01c (0.005%)

Perhaps we need to slow down everything on the vessel by 0.015% ?

Now I'm confused.

Sebastiaan said:
I'm dealing with a space simulation (KSP) that has no concept if time dilation.

So you have to do everything in a single inertial frame, the frame of the "observer at rest". No problem.

Sebastiaan said:
my acceleration a = 600,000 kg / 600,000 Newton = 1 m/s2

Ok, so the rest mass of the spacecraft is 10 times larger than I had assumed. No problem.

Sebastiaan said:
Now rewriting your formula dv / dt = a / y3 to dv = (a / y3) dt

Enter our data dt = 0.02 and get:

dv = (1 / 1.000053) 0.02 = 0.019997 m/s speed increase in the coordinate system at rest.

At an instant of time at which the spacecraft is moving at 0.01c in the frame of the observer at rest, yes. But note that, if the spacecraft starts from rest in this frame (speed 0), and its proper acceleration is only 1 m/s, instead of the 10 m/s I assumed, the spacecraft will run out of fuel before it reaches 0.01c.

Sebastiaan said:
from the vessel point of view, it would still accelerate at 1 m/s and for t = 0.02 that would be 0.02 m

But the vessel is time dilated relative to the frame of the observer at rest, so a time step of 0.02 s in the latter frame is only 0.02 / gamma = 0.019999 s in the vessel's frame (assuming the vessel starts the time step moving at 0.01c in the frame of the observer at rest). So from the vessel's point of view, it accelerates at 1 m/s for 0.019999 s.

Sebastiaan said:
in our simulation, everything runs in the same time speed

Which means you have to do the simulation in the frame of the observer at rest. The simulation can't tell you anything from the vessel's point of view; you'll have to calculate that yourself, separately.

Sebastiaan said:
This would mean we have to slow down the vessel in the opposite direction it is traveling.

No, it means the simulation can't tell you anything about what happens from the vessel's point of view. See above.

1. How does special relativity affect spacecraft thrust?

Special relativity states that the faster an object moves, the more energy it acquires. This means that as a spacecraft approaches the speed of light, its thrust will decrease due to the increase in its mass. This decrease in thrust is known as relativistic mass increase.

2. How does special relativity affect a spacecraft's specific impulse (Isp)?

Special relativity also affects a spacecraft's specific impulse, which is a measure of its efficiency in converting fuel into thrust. As a spacecraft's velocity increases, its specific impulse also decreases due to the increase in its mass. This means that more fuel is needed to achieve the same amount of thrust.

3. Can special relativity be used to increase spacecraft thrust?

While special relativity does have an impact on spacecraft thrust and Isp, it is not a method for increasing thrust. In fact, the decrease in thrust and Isp can make it more difficult for spacecraft to reach high velocities and travel long distances.

4. How does special relativity affect the design of spacecraft engines?

Special relativity must be taken into consideration when designing spacecraft engines. The engines must be powerful enough to overcome the decrease in thrust caused by relativistic mass increase. They must also be able to efficiently use fuel to compensate for the decrease in specific impulse.

5. Is special relativity the only factor that affects spacecraft thrust and Isp?

No, there are other factors that can affect spacecraft thrust and Isp, such as the design of the spacecraft, the type of fuel used, and external forces such as gravity. However, special relativity is an important factor to consider when designing and operating spacecraft in order to accurately calculate and predict their performance.