How Can I Calculate the Energy Requirement for a Lateral Solenoid?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Swifters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Solenoid
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Swifters
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Sorry to bring this up again but is there any way of telling how much energy a solenoid will use for a lateral solenoid for a given length and diameter. Is there an online calculator?

I'm interested to know how much energy is lost in the form of resistance/heat as my understanding of how they work is that they are basically a dead short in a coil? If you increase the diameter of the wire I know resistance will drop but I imagine this will impact on the speed/strength of the solenoid? Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org