Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i calculate the time delay in arduino?

1. May 11, 2016 #1
    hi every one , i'm a student in university , i have a projet it's about calculate speed of waves in liquid by to piezo electrique , one workd like emmeter and the other receppter , the distance betwin the two piezo is fixe , the probleme is i nedd to calculat the time betwin the moment who i send the signal and when i received ? and i want to know if it's ok to put piezo disque in liquide or i need to protecte theme by somthing to avoid court circuit ?
    thinx

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF.

I think you can get better answers by posting your question on one of the Arundino forums.

4. May 11, 2016 #3

cnh1995

Homework Helper

You mean transmitter and receiver?
    I guess those two instants are detected by the hardware using signals produced by the piezoelectric sensors? To compute the time elapsed between these two events, you can use millis() or micros() functions which read the on-board timer and give output in ms or μs.

5. May 11, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You might need to coat the elements with lacquer or a very thin layer of epoxy to prevent damage to the metallisation. Are you studying surface waves? Can you draw a diagram of your transmitter and receiver location relative to the surface and waves. You may be able to use doppler frequency shift rather than a simple pulse.

6. May 13, 2016 #5
    thanks you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted