How can I calculate the delay time of a choke?

In summary: For coil inductors, inductance /unit length isn't something that is consideredfor coil inductors, inductance /unit length isn't something that is calculated as a whole Coil inductors do not behave like transmission lines and you cannot use the length of the coil to calculate the delay. You would need to use a TDR to measure the delay.
BHY-BK
I have a choke which has 2.5mH inductance and 2pF of capacitance.

I have been looking at formulas for calculating the delay time and found
d = sqrt Lo Co

Where Lo is the intrinsic inductance per unit length
and Co is the intrinsic capacitance per unit length

Since I only know the inductance and capacitance of the whole coil how do I calculate the delay time?
Do I need to break it down into per unit lengths-if so how would I do that?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That formula is for a distributed transmission line, not an inductor with parasitic capacitance.

I think the parasitic capacitance is considered in parallel with the inductor rather than distributed as in a transmission line. But, I'm not entirely sure.
http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/self-resonant_frequency_of_inductors.htm

Here is a lot of information on transmission line delay
http://www.montana.edu/blameres/cou...ation/TDR_AppNote_Agilent_MeasCL_apr96a11.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the articles. I read them both and they both had a lot of info.

The second one stated you need a TDR to be able to determine the delay...

So, I'm still wondering, how can I determine the inductance per unit length and capacitance per unit length? And what units and lengths are to be used.

I know the length of the coil is 352.2 inches, maybe that might help...

BHY-BK said:
So, I'm still wondering, how can I determine the inductance per unit length and capacitance per unit length? And what units and lengths are to be used.

ummm so is it a coil inductor or a transmission line ?

for coil inductors, inductance /unit length isn't something that is considered

a coil has inductance that is dependent on its number of turns, closeness of the windings of the turns, thickness of the wire etc

and similarly for capacitors, their values are not considered as a unit length

BHY-BK said:
I know the length of the coil is 352.2 inches, maybe that might help...

that is a freakin' long coil ... 29 feet !

time you told us more about what you are playing with, the equipment etc ... some uploaded pics would helpDave

Sorry that length was just a guess...

That's what I don't understand, if a coil can act as a delay line because it has a high capacitance then can't it be considered a transmission line?
If so then shouldn't I be able to use the total length of the coil and divide it by whatever the per unit length is then use the formula to calculate the delay?

I just need to understand how to figure this out, or if it can be calculated without the use of a TDR? Or if my line of thinking is completely off?

BHY-BK said:
Sorry that length was just a guess...

That's what I don't understand, if a coil can act as a delay line because it has a high capacitance then can't it be considered a transmission line?
If so then shouldn't I be able to use the total length of the coil and divide it by whatever the per unit length is then use the formula to calculate the delay?

I just need to understand how to figure this out, or if it can be calculated without the use of a TDR? Or if my line of thinking is completely off?
you didn't really address my Q's or comments
a bit difficult for anyone to give good help without more info
again I ask for info on the choke, preferably with pic's

Regarding the length, I think maybe he was saying how long the wire is that is wound on the choke.

The choke is a lumped element and will not behave as a transmission line. You can use the model in the link. If you put in a pulse, you will not get a pulse out. You will get a spike from the parasitic capacitance followed by a ramping or exponentially rising voltage (V = Ldi/dt). It will have a time constant (just like an RC curcuit) if it drives a resistive load. A choke has a self-resonant frequency, a transmission line does not.

Think about the physical construction of a choke vs a transmission line. A choke has multiple layers (possibly) with capacitive coupling across layers. Even series capacitors between turns providing a series capacitor between input and output. A transmission line is a single wire with inductance (all wires have inductance) and capacitive coupling to a (more or less) low impedance shield. The scenarios are completely different.

BTW, the tdr link I provided isn't so much about using a tdr as showing the delay results of different configurations. None of them are chokes, though.

Likes BHY-BK
You do not know the length of wire, but very roughly speaking, I think you will find that the resonance frequency of 2.5mH and 2pF will correspond to a frequency where the length of wire is a quarter of a wavelength long. So this will give you the delay. It is hard to design an inductor which does not behave as a transmission line.

Likes BHY-BK
BHY-BK said:
I have a choke which has 2.5mH inductance and 2pF of capacitance
What value of delay would you like to produce, and what signal would you like to be able to delay?

1. How do I calculate the delay time of a choke?

The delay time of a choke can be calculated by dividing the inductance of the choke by its resistance. This value will give you the time it takes for the choke to reach its maximum current.

2. Why is calculating the delay time of a choke important?

Calculating the delay time of a choke is important because it helps determine the efficiency of the choke and its ability to filter out unwanted signals. It also helps in the proper design and selection of chokes for specific applications.

3. What factors affect the delay time of a choke?

The delay time of a choke can be affected by the inductance and resistance of the choke, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the signal passing through it. Other external factors such as temperature and surrounding electromagnetic interference may also play a role.

4. Can the delay time of a choke be adjusted?

Yes, the delay time of a choke can be adjusted by changing the inductance or resistance of the choke. This can be done by using different materials, winding configurations, or adding parallel resistors.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the delay time of a choke?

While calculating the delay time of a choke can provide a good estimate, there are limitations to its accuracy. External factors such as temperature and surrounding electromagnetic interference can affect the results. Additionally, the actual circuit and its components may have variations that can impact the delay time.