How can I calculate the volume of an elipsoid using triple integrals?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
PsychonautQQ
Messages
781
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement


Find the volume of Elipsoid x^2+y^2+5z^2=16


The Attempt at a Solution


So if x and y are both zero z goes from -(16/5)^(1/2) to (16/5)^(1/2)
and if I do it in polar coordinates then r goes from 0 to 4
and theta goes from 0 to 2pi?

so Triple Integral: rdrdθdz with the above parameters should give me the correct answer... right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How about parametrizing the ellipsoid as
[tex]\vec{r}(\lambda,\theta,\phi)=\lambda \begin{pmatrix}<br /> a \cos \phi \sin \theta \\<br /> b \sin \phi \sin \theta \\<br /> c \cos \theta<br /> \end{pmatrix}?[/tex]
Now you have to find the boundaries of the three parameters and check that it's really giving the ellipsoide. Then evaluate the Jacobian and do the integral :-).
 
ah is there a way to do it with cylindrical coordinates like the way I was doing it? I think the problem wants me to use this method X_x.
 
PsychonautQQ said:
ah is there a way to do it with cylindrical coordinates like the way I was doing it? I think the problem wants me to use this method X_x.
Yes, but z and r are not independent. The value of one will affect the bound on the other.
(Far the easiest way here is to substitute t = z*constant, if you pick the right constant.)