How can I catch heart beat signals?

In summary, it looks like the devices in the RF lab can't currently detect heart beats, but there are other ways to do it. There are some promising ideas out there for using digital cameras to detect changes in color.
Nate Duong
Dear everyone,

I am thinking about what know of machines in RF lab can catch heart beat signal,

In the RF lab with spectrum and network analyzers, also have Function generator and more.

They are just working on signal with high frequencies, but heart beats are very low frequencies about 1.17 to 10 Hz.

Any ideal, everyone?

Thank you.

Regards,

Nate Duong.

Engineering news on Phys.org
(1) Using medical blood pressure / heart rate monitors . Detect actual pressure pulses . Either buy one or adapt well known technology .

(2) Using ECG . Detect electrical activity from heart beats . Again well known technology ,

that is a good ideal, but in this case, I would like to collect signal with wireless, medical blood pressure / heart rate monitors are using cable to connect to body.

Do I need to amplify signals?

Nate Duong said:
in this case, I would like to collect signal with wireless,

Nidum said:
You might find some interesting ideas here :

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=fh62VcLnL6i17gamq6TYBw

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=1033047&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D1033047

It looks like those sensors still need to be in contact with the body, and then they transmit their data wirelessly.

Check out this totally wireless, non-contact RF detection of heatbeat: http://www.omnevia.com/sega_node_lifedetector.php

It was invented by a company that has PF'ers working on it... :smile:

(BTW, their technology is very proprietary...)

Likes dlgoff and Jeff Rosenbury
Nate Duong said:
Dear everyone,

I am thinking about what know of machines in RF lab can catch heart beat signal,

In the RF lab with spectrum and network analyzers, also have Function generator and more.

They are just working on signal with high frequencies, but heart beats are very low frequencies about 1.17 to 10 Hz.

Any ideal, everyone?

Thank you.

Regards,

Nate Duong.
The simple pulse monitors that you can buy seem to shine two wavelengths of IR through the blood vessels in the finger etc, one absorbed by haemoglobin and the other not. We use this system with a data logger.
If connecting any electronics to the body, there is an obvious safety issue because the connection might be low resistance and the electronics might generate fault currents or leakage currents. For this reason, I think it is only possible to use approved equipment.

There is some very promising work that uses ultra-sensitive digital cameras to measure the change in colour of the face
Eulerian video magnification

did you ever consider a ni daq card with an op amp front end, I'm petty sure (but don't quote me) you can capture in labview and send your data to MATLAB for dsp processing of signals, I actually plan on doing this, got two books one on electrophysiology and one on the dsp processing of electrophysical signals/impulses.

thankz said:
did you ever consider a ni daq card with an op amp front end, I'm petty sure (but don't quote me) you can capture in labview and send your data to MATLAB for dsp processing of signals, I actually plan on doing this, got two books one on electrophysiology and one on the dsp processing of electrophysical signals/impulses.

Do *not* connect a standard data Acq card to electrodes on a human body. That is just way too dangerous. Use the IR technique mentioned by tech99 so that you do not need electrode contact with the human skin. Before you can do anything with electrodes on humans, you better read and understand the electrical safety considerations that require special types of circuitry to be used. See UL 544, for example.

tech99 said:
If connecting any electronics to the body, there is an obvious safety issue because the connection might be low resistance and the electronics might generate fault currents or leakage currents. For this reason, I think it is only possible to use approved equipment.

if I got a usb daq what do I need besides usb opto-isolation, crowbar circuit, current limiter, and gfi with transformer isolation. run the daq off a batt with ic regulator too. ?

Pick up beats as sound with a microphone .

yea but I'm trying to measure electrical signals and later on nerve signals prob using live frogs anesthetized.

thankz said:
if I got a usb daq what do I need besides usb opto-isolation, crowbar circuit, current limiter, and gfi with transformer isolation. run the daq off a batt with ic regulator too. ?

You need to read and understand biomedical electrical safety rules and regulations and best practices. What have you read about that so far? It looks like UL 544 has been superseded by UL 60601-1, which unfortunately is much bigger and more expensive ($500). You might check your local technical libraries to see if they have access to the UL safety standards.

I accidentally blasted myself pretty hard one time many years back, working on a biomedical device with electrodes. One small mistake and I almost killed myself. Do not take this lightly please.

Well since the OP hasn't returned for several days, and we've gotten off-track from his original question, I'll go ahead and close the thread.

1. How can I detect heart beat signals?

To detect heart beat signals, you can use a device called an electrocardiogram (ECG). An ECG measures the electrical activity of the heart and produces a graph that shows the heart's rhythm and any abnormalities.

2. What are some common methods for capturing heart beat signals?

Some common methods for capturing heart beat signals include using an ECG, using a pulse oximeter, or manually feeling for a pulse on the wrist or neck. These methods may vary in accuracy and ease of use.

3. How does a pulse oximeter work to capture heart beat signals?

A pulse oximeter works by shining a light through a person's skin, and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed by the blood. This information is then used to calculate the heart rate and oxygen levels in the blood.

4. Can I use a fitness tracker to catch heart beat signals?

Most fitness trackers have a heart rate monitor feature that uses optical sensors to measure the heart rate by detecting changes in blood flow. While these may not be as accurate as medical-grade devices, they can still provide useful information.

5. Are there any factors that may affect the accuracy of capturing heart beat signals?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of capturing heart beat signals, such as movement, poor sensor placement, and certain medical conditions. It is important to follow proper instructions and use a reliable device for the most accurate results.