Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I catch heart beat signals?

1. Jul 27, 2015 #1
    Dear everyone,

I am thinking about what know of machines in RF lab can catch heart beat signal,

In the RF lab with spectrum and network analyzers, also have Function generator and more.

They are just working on signal with high frequencies, but heart beats are very low frequencies about 1.17 to 10 Hz.

Any ideal, everyone?

Thank you.

Regards,

Nate Duong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2015 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

(1) Using medical blood pressure / heart rate monitors . Detect actual pressure pulses . Either buy one or adapt well known technology .

(2) Using ECG . Detect electrical activity from heart beats . Again well known technology ,

4. Jul 27, 2015 #3
    that is a good ideal, but in this case, I would like to collect signal with wireless, medical blood pressure / heart rate monitors are using cable to connect to body.

Do I need to amplify signals?

5. Jul 27, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jul 27, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It looks like those sensors still need to be in contact with the body, and then they transmit their data wirelessly.

Check out this totally wireless, non-contact RF detection of heatbeat: http://www.omnevia.com/sega_node_lifedetector.php

It was invented by a company that has PF'ers working on it... :smile:

(BTW, their technology is very proprietary...)

7. Jul 31, 2015 #6
    The simple pulse monitors that you can buy seem to shine two wavelengths of IR through the blood vessels in the finger etc, one absorbed by haemoglobin and the other not. We use this system with a data logger.
    If connecting any electronics to the body, there is an obvious safety issue because the connection might be low resistance and the electronics might generate fault currents or leakage currents. For this reason, I think it is only possible to use approved equipment.

8. Jul 31, 2015 #7
    There is some very promising work that uses ultra-sensitive digital cameras to measure the change in colour of the face
    Eulerian video magnification

9. Jul 31, 2015 #8
    did you ever consider a ni daq card with an op amp front end, I'm petty sure (but don't quote me) you can capture in labview and send your data to matlab for dsp processing of signals, I actually plan on doing this, got two books one on electrophysiology and one on the dsp processing of electrophysical signals/impulses.

10. Jul 31, 2015 #9

berkeman

Do *not* connect a standard data Acq card to electrodes on a human body. That is just way too dangerous. Use the IR technique mentioned by tech99 so that you do not need electrode contact with the human skin. Before you can do anything with electrodes on humans, you better read and understand the electrical safety considerations that require special types of circuitry to be used. See UL 544, for example.

11. Jul 31, 2015 #10
    if I got a usb daq what do I need besides usb opto-isolation, crowbar circuit, current limiter, and gfi with transformer isolation. run the daq off a batt with ic regulator too. ???

12. Jul 31, 2015 #11

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pick up beats as sound with a microphone .

13. Jul 31, 2015 #12
    yea but I'm trying to measure electrical signals and later on nerve signals prob using live frogs anesthetized.

14. Jul 31, 2015 #13

berkeman

You need to read and understand biomedical electrical safety rules and regulations and best practices. What have you read about that so far? It looks like UL 544 has been superseded by UL 60601-1, which unfortunately is much bigger and more expensive ($500). You might check your local technical libraries to see if they have access to the UL safety standards.

I accidentally blasted myself pretty hard one time many years back, working on a biomedical device with electrodes. One small mistake and I almost killed myself. Do not take this lightly please.

15. Jul 31, 2015 #14

berkeman

Well since the OP hasn't returned for several days, and we've gotten off-track from his original question, I'll go ahead and close the thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook