How can I convert that Watt peak rating to Megawatt?

In summary: However, I have seen this calculations on a thesis that I have found and when I do the calculations for my solar farm it makes a lot more sense:As described earlier, a solar panel in sunshine periods can normally generate 260 W of power. By assuming 30 solar panels mounted on the rooftop, the power generation for a tram operating on line 8 will be:Power generated by 30 panels = 30 × 260 = 7800 W = 7.8 kW
t0mm02
Homework Statement
E= r x GB x A x L
Relevant Equations
E= r x GB x A x L
Hello everyone. I need to calculate solar energy output (E) from a solar farm. The calculations are based on values from total module surface area in m² (A), panel efficiency (r), solar irradiance (GB) and losses (L) due to dust, cold temperature and ageing, which is estimated to be 0.75. Since the energy required from the PV modules has already been calculated, it is possible to analyze if the energy output is enough to satisfy the energy demand. The following formula is used to calculate the solar energy output (E):
  • E= r x GB x A x L
  • E= 19.08 x 1.30 x 10193.70 x 0.75 = 328697 Wp, which is the total watt-peak rating
How can I convert that Wp to Megawatt?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
t0mm02 said:
Homework Statement:: E= r x GB x A x L
Relevant Equations:: E= r x GB x A x L

Hello everyone. I need to calculate solar energy output (E) from a solar farm. The calculations are based on values from total module surface area in m² (A), panel efficiency (r), annual average solar irradiance (GB) and losses (L) due to dust, cold temperature and ageing, which is estimated to be 0.75. Since the energy required from the PV modules has already been calculated, it is possible to analyze if the energy output is enough to satisfy the energy demand. The following formula is used to calculate the solar energy output (E):
  • E= r x GB x A x L
  • E= 19.08 x 1.30 x 10193.70 x 1.3 = 328697 Wp, which is the total watt-peak rating
How can I convert that Wp to Megawatt?
A Megawatt is a million watts, right?

Without units, your numbers don't mean much. You should add the units for each of the numbers. What does the efficiency r of 19.08 mean? 19.08%? If so, shouldn't you divide by 100? Also, you said L=0.75, but then you multiplied by 1.3. How can the loss be greater than 1? Also, since you have multiplied by the "annual average solar irradiance", why would you call this watt-peak? Isn't it average watts?

Likes PeroK
phyzguy said:
Without units, your numbers don't mean much. You should add the units for each of the numbers. What does the efficiency r of 19.08 mean? 19.08%? If so, shouldn't you divide by 100? Also, you said L=0.75, but then you multiplied by 1.3. How can the loss be greater than 1? Also, since you have multiplied by the "annual average solar irradiance", why would you call this watt-peak? Isn't it average watts?
19. 08 is the efficiency of the solar panel, therefore 19.08 %, L= 0,75 but I made a mistake so I will change it. Solar irradiance is 1.30 kW/ m². Now that everything is corrected, do you have any advice or help to offer? thank you

t0mm02 said:
19. 08 is the efficiency of the solar panel, therefore 19.08 %, L= 0,75 but I made a mistake so I will change it. Solar irradiance is 1.30 kW/ m². Now that everything is corrected, do you have any advice or help to offer? thank you
Can you show me the new calculation, with the corrections, and with units added? Why do you call the 1.3 kW/m^2 the "annual average solar irradiance"? Isn't it the peak irradiance? Do you still need help on converting to MWatts, or is @PeroK 's comment enough? Are you trying to calculate the peak megawatts, or the annual megawatt-hours, or both?

phyzguy said:
Can you show me the new calculation, with the corrections, and with units added? Why do you call the 1.3 kW/m^2 the "annual average solar irradiance"? Isn't it the peak irradiance? Do you still need help on converting to MWatts, or is @PeroK 's comment enough? Are you trying to calculate the peak megawatts, or the annual megawatt-hours, or both?
I get a really low number that doesn't make sense as the solar farm has 5254 solar panels, I get less than a MW and doesn't matter what numbers I use my calculations do not make sense.

However, I have seen this calculations on a thesis that I have found and when I do the calculations for my solar farm it makes a lot more sense:
As described earlier, a solar panel in sunshine periods can normally generate 260 W of power. By assuming 30 solar panels mounted on the rooftop, the power generation for a tram operating on line 8 will be: Power generated by 30 panels = 30 × 260 = 7800 W = 7.8 kW

I see these calculations too simple though, he doesn't take into account sunshine hours or losses and I don't know how to introduce sunshine hours or losses into his calculations or even if it is needed to introducde them.

Please post the calculation again, like you did in post #1, with the corrections and with units. We can't help you if you don't show us your calculations.

phyzguy said:
Please post the calculation again, like you did in post #1, with the corrections and with units. We can't help you if you don't show us your calculations.
Power generated by 5254 panels = 5254 × 370 = 1943980 Wp = 1.944 MWp

These are my calculations but once again, I see these calculations too simple though, he doesn't take into account sunshine hours or losses and I don't know how to introduce sunshine hours or losses into his calculations or even if it is needed to introduce them.

t0mm02 said:

These are my calculations but once again, I see these calculations too simple though, he doesn't take into account sunshine hours or losses and I don't know how to introduce sunshine hours or losses into his calculations or even if it is needed to introduce them.
OK, two questions:

(1) You said in post # 6 "a solar panel in sunshine periods can normally generate 260 W of power". So why did you use 370W here?

(2) What are you trying to calculate? Are you trying to calculate the peak megawatts, or the annual megawatt-hours, or both?

t0mm02 said:

here try this
##E = (r) (GB) (A) (L)##

That doesn't help much does it? Include in the units:
##E (MW) = (r) (GB \frac {kW} {m^2}) (A m^2) (L) ( \frac{MW} {1000 kW})##

You seem to know the number of panels; call that "N" and think of "A" as the area per panel:
##E (MW) = (r) (GB \frac {kW} {m^2}) (A \frac{m^2}{panel})(N(panel)) (L) \frac{MW} {1000 kW}##

1. How do I convert a Watt peak rating to Megawatt?

To convert a Watt peak rating to Megawatt, simply divide the Watt peak rating by 1,000,000. This will give you the equivalent Megawatt value.

2. What is the difference between Watt and Megawatt?

Watt is a unit of power, while Megawatt is a unit of power equal to one million watts. This means that one Megawatt is equivalent to one million Watts.

3. Why is it important to convert Watt peak rating to Megawatt?

Converting Watt peak rating to Megawatt is important because it allows for easier comparison and understanding of power output. Megawatt is a larger unit than Watt, so it is often used to measure larger power outputs, such as those of power plants.

4. Can I convert any power rating to Megawatt?

Yes, you can convert any power rating to Megawatt as long as you know the value in Watts. Simply divide the Watt value by 1,000,000 to get the equivalent Megawatt value.

5. Is there a specific formula for converting Watt peak rating to Megawatt?

Yes, the formula for converting Watt peak rating to Megawatt is: Megawatt = Watt peak rating / 1,000,000. This formula can also be used to convert any power rating from Watts to Megawatts.