How can I create a accurately-measured conductive strip for electronic projects?

• Thread starter geolej
  • Start date
In summary, you can use copper tape, conductive paint, Teledeltos paper, or conductive glue to create a line with accurate resistance values.
geolej
I am attempting to create a line (5" long by .5") that I can then measure the resistance between. I have tried creating a paint/ graphite mix but no matter what consistency I make by diluting it with acetone, I can't get a accurate distribution of values. They jump erratically when I measure them.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can get stick-on copper strip. Would this be OK?

Or, you could just have a track like that on a printed circuit board.

If the problem is making contact to the painted strip, maybe you could try painting it between two copper tracks on a printed circuit board and making contact to those for testing.

I have some supposedly conductive paint but it has never been any good. The particles in it are probably conductive but each one gets non-conductive paint around it so the net result is non conductive.

What are you trying to do?

http://grab.by/Sqy
For a glass replacement I have notecards or some bendable object that makes contact with two conductive surfaces, that I can measure the resistance between. Cooper doesn't have enough measurable resistance as far as I know. The end project is a "touchscreen".

Last edited by a moderator:
What about carbon tape?

Good idea.
I also thought of Teledeltos paper. I don't even know if you can still get it. It was like carbon paper but intended for plotting electric fields.

Also, there is the conductive antistatic foam that you get when you buy integrated circuits. This is conductive but with measurable resistances.

Use thin copper and four wire measurement.

Put 1 amp DC through the copper. (If copper is thick use 10 amp)
Have voltmeter with probes 1 inch apart.
Measure the voltage drop across 1 inch of copper using the probes.

Aluminium cooking foil glued to a suitable flat surface and the aluminium then cut to size.

You might be able to use a conductive paint marker http://www.pemro.com/items.asp?Cc=CONDPEN&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc= they are made with silver in the ink and so are conductive. Also, The Electronic Goldmine has conductive glue http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16133 which you might be able to use. I made an electrostatic speaker, and to make the diaphram, I used a piece of projector plastic covered with graphite which was rubbed into the plastic, the trick to getting uniform resistance was to apply the graphite evenly over the film and rub in using another transparency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How can I create a accurately-measured conductive strip for electronic projects?

What is a conductive strip?

A conductive strip is a narrow piece of material that allows electricity to flow through it. It is typically made from a conductive material such as metal or carbon.

Why would you need to create a conductive strip?

Conductive strips are commonly used in electronic devices to facilitate the flow of electricity between components. They can also be used in circuitry to connect different parts of a circuit.

What materials can be used to create a conductive strip?

As mentioned, conductive strips are typically made from materials such as metal or carbon. Other materials that can be used include conductive polymers, conductive tape, or conductive ink.

How do you create a conductive strip?

The process of creating a conductive strip will depend on the specific material being used. Generally, the material is first cut into a narrow strip and then shaped or molded into the desired form. It may also need to be treated or coated to ensure proper conductivity.

What are some applications of conductive strips?

Conductive strips have a wide range of applications, including in electronic devices such as smartphones, computers, and televisions. They are also commonly used in circuit boards, sensors, and batteries. In addition, they can be used in medical devices, aerospace technology, and even fashion and design.