1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I deal with such an integral?

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I deal with such an integral: the integrand include another variable which has some relationship with the variable of integration, but i do not know the exact relationship. Can I just see the "another variable" mentioned above as a invariant and put it outside from the integral symbol?
    I think I cannot do so, but how can I handle such a question?

2. Relevant equations
    For example, dy=z*dx, where some unknown relationship with the x, i think i can't integral it m the two sides and just put the z outside from the integral symbol.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2
    I think you are referring to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3
    I mean if i want to integral the dy=z*dx or something like this with an unknown z which may have some relation with the x, how can i do? Is there some area of mathematics concerning this kind of questions?

5. Dec 23, 2015 #4
    If you're only dealing with the relationship between x and y as specified by dy and dx, then Z is just a constant i would image. Its like when you integrate and you get the + c constant added, but that C variable isn't one of the relationships in the equations.

so if you integrate z*dx then basically its just the integral of a constant with respect to x. And yeah you can just pull it out like a constant.

6. Dec 23, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is pretty vague.

If z does not have a dependence on the variable of integration x, it can be treated as a constant.
    If z does have some unknown dependence on the variable of integration, it cannot be treated as a constant, but you cannot integrate until the correct relationship between z and x is established.

For example, if z = ex, then ∫ z dx would give one result, but if z = sin (x), then ∫ z dx would give a completely different result.

That's just math. :frown:

BTW, you integrate functions, you don't 'integral' them.

7. Dec 23, 2015 #6
    haha, Thank you, i just can't remember the correct word, thank you again
    isn't there exist a method to handle the uncertain z? that baffles me ....

8. Dec 23, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not that I'm aware of.

9. Dec 23, 2015 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with SteamKing. In the integral ##\int z~ dx##, where z is some function of x, it's not possible to find an antiderivative without knowing how z is related to x.

10. Dec 23, 2015 #9
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted