How can I design a rectangular piece of Silicon with n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bryand130
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
bryand130
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Design a rectangular bpiece of Silicon with n = 300cm^-3 at T = 300K. Be specific and quantitative



n*p = ni^2
ni = 5.2 × 1015T3/2 e^(−Eg/2kT) electrons/cm^3




Using the formula above, with Eg = 1.12eV = 1.792x10^-19 J, and k = 1.38x10^-23
i get ni = 1.0776x10^10 electrons/cm^3
Using the formula n*p = ni^2, i solved for p = 3.87x10^17


As far as where to go next, I'm unsure. I sent a message to my prof. asking what exactly he wants for this question, but I haven't received a response yet. Would it be even feasible to attempt to get dimensions for a solid using just these values?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your p needs units.
I don't see how the size would be relevant here, unless there is something missing in the problem statement. You have to get a certain electron density, and this is independent of the size.
 
Last edited:
mfb said:
You p needs units.
I don't see how the size would be relevant here, unless there is something missing in the problem statement. You have to get a certain electron density, and this is independent of the size.

I got a message back from the prof. Turns out he was mostly just wanting to know what process would be used to actually make a piece of Si with n and p such as this. Essentially, he just wants to know what process of doping I would use. Oh well, I was pulling my hair out for nothing.