How can I determine the initial velocity of a ball thrown towards a ceiling?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ashlee.m
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a ball that is 10cm in diameter is thrown 2.4m above the level of hands vertically to reach a ceiling what is the initial velocity

Homework Equations


struggling to determine the intial velocity as have no time


The Attempt at a Solution



Help! really struggling
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming there is no air resistance, then use the conservation of energy principle.
 
conservation of energy principle?
I have a similar problem and stuck too. I'm thinking if the down part of the balls flight equals the same as the up part then I was thinking you can work out the second half of the flight with vf2 = vi2 + 2ad, knowing the initial velocity for the return trip is 0m/s and acceleration is gravity and d=2.4m. Not sure if I'm on the right track though. But if so then can use one of the formulas with time the only missing variable and work it out.