How Can I Determine the Size and Type of Cache on My System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter itech4814
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    System
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
itech4814
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
How do I locate how large my cache is on the system and what kind it is, whether it be associative, direct, two way, or four way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
download and run this program on your system, CPU-z
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

here's an example of what it does
http://www.cpuid.com/medias/images/en/softwares-cpuz.jpg

you can look up specific details on your processor once you know exactly what you have on your system.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That program will tell you about on-chip cache. I'm not sure it will be able to tell about off-processor cache (typically L2). System board manufacturers and system integrators are often cagey about it, since the average purchaser hasn't a clue, and since the details can provide performance advantages over competitors.

So it isn't always easy to find out EXACTLY what's in there, or how its supported in peripheral hardware.