1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I differentiate this expression?

1. Jan 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider three univariate distinct functions [itex]f_1(x),f_2(y),f_3(y)[/itex]. Let H be given by the following integral:

[itex] H=\int_{0}^{f_1(x)} G(f2(\xi))G(f3(\xi))d\xi [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Then, computing dH/dy should give zero. However, I am not certain of this because the chain rule would give me:

[itex] \frac{dH}{dy}=\frac{\partial H}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial H}{\partial f_2}\frac{\partial f_2}{\partial y}+ \frac{\partial H}{\partial f_3}\frac{\partial f_3}{\partial y}[/itex]

and [itex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial f_j}\frac{\partial f_j}{\partial y}[/itex] are nonzero.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I had hoped one of our "experts" such as Dick, or micromass, or ... would have responded to this, but after looking at it a few times, I'll take a stab at it. (An informed stab at that.)

The integrand [itex]\displaystyle G(f_2(\xi))G(f_3(\xi))[/itex] is a function of ξ. You are integrating over ξ and the limits of integration are 0 and f1(x). Therefore, H is a function of x and only of x, so of course, [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dH}{dy}=0\,.[/itex]

If you intended the limits of integration to be 0 and f1(y), then finding [itex]\displaystyle \frac{dH}{dy}[/itex] makes sense.

If [itex]\displaystyle H=\int_{0}^{f_1(y)} G(f_2(\xi))G(f_3(\xi))d\xi\,, [/itex] the H(y) is the anti-derivative of [itex]\displaystyle G(f_2(\xi))G(f_3(\xi))[/itex] evaluated at ξ=f1(y), minus a constant.

The derivative of this result (w.r.t. y) should be pretty obvious, if this is indeed the question.

4. Jan 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks SammyS. I thought exactly the same as you. However, I still don't see why the chain rule would be invalidated in this case. I know that so long as y does not appear in the limits of integration the integral should not change with y, but why the chain rule doesn't appear to say the sameÉ

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook