How can I do a fantastic EEI for Physics?

• Thread starter FreezeFlow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a Year 11 Physics student who has been assigned an EEI (Extended Experimental Investigation) on projectile motion. The student has chosen to make and shoot a coil gun but is unsure of how to set up the assignment. They ask for advice on where to put the results, how to lay them out, and what else should be included. The conversation also includes a discussion on what an EEI is and how it is organized in general.
FreezeFlow
Hi,
I'm in Year 11 Physics, and we were assigned a task. We were to do an EEI on projectile motion, and I chose to make and shoot a coil gun. I have made it, but now I am stuck on how to set up the EEI assignment.
Where should I put the results, and how should I put them? ect
I've decided on first asking the question - 'what is a coilgun'? as some people don't know about them.
1) Should I include the Risk Assessment I had in my EEI proposal?
2) How should I lay out the results?
3) What else should there me in it?

Thanks!
I hope I've put this in the right place!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, define EEI please. I have no idea what this term is.

An EEI is an Extended Experimental Investigation. All students who have taken Physics have done (or should have done) at least one EEI. It's just an investigation into whatever the teacher tells you to do - and this time, it's projectile motion.

Hm, I am going into my 3rd year of my bachelors degree in physics and I've never heard of an EEI. Just because your school has something doesn't mean everyone everywhere does it as well, don't assume things, it makes you sound arrogant and cocky.

Anyway, in general a report of this style might be organized as:
Abstract
Introduction
Method
Results
Discussion

I'll leave the rest to you

Hello,

It's great to hear that you have chosen to do a project on projectile motion and have built a coil gun for your EEI assignment. Here are some suggestions on how to make your EEI fantastic:

1. Clearly define your research question: The first step in any scientific experiment is to define a clear and specific research question. In your case, you can ask "How does the angle of the coil gun affect the distance traveled by the projectile?" This will help guide your experiment and give you a focused direction for your results.

2. Include a Risk Assessment: It is always important to include a risk assessment in any scientific experiment, especially when dealing with potentially dangerous equipment like a coil gun. Make sure to include all potential hazards and how you plan to mitigate them. This will show that you have thought about the safety of your experiment and taken necessary precautions.

3. Lay out your results in a clear and organized manner: Your results should be presented in a way that is easy to understand and interpret. You can create graphs or tables to show the relationship between the angle of the coil gun and the distance traveled by the projectile. Make sure to label your axes and include units for all measurements.

4. Discuss your findings and draw conclusions: After presenting your results, make sure to discuss what they mean and how they answer your research question. Are there any patterns or trends in your data? Do your results support your hypothesis? This is also a good opportunity to mention any limitations or sources of error in your experiment.

5. Include additional information: In addition to your results, you can also include some background information on coil guns and their applications. This will help to educate your audience and make your EEI more interesting.

Overall, the key to a fantastic EEI is to have a clear research question, well-organized results, and a thoughtful discussion of your findings. Good luck with your project!

What is an EEI?

An EEI (Extended Experimental Investigation) is a scientific investigation that students undertake as a part of their studies in physics. It involves designing and conducting an experiment to investigate a specific question or topic in physics.

How do I choose a topic for my EEI?

The first step in choosing a topic for your EEI is to identify an area of physics that interests you. You can then conduct some background research and brainstorm potential questions or ideas to investigate. It's important to choose a topic that is feasible, relevant, and challenging enough to meet the requirements of a fantastic EEI.

What are the key components of a fantastic EEI?

A fantastic EEI should have a clear and focused research question, a well-designed experiment with appropriate variables and controls, accurate data collection and analysis, and a thorough discussion of results and conclusions. It should also demonstrate scientific thinking and use of relevant scientific concepts and principles.

How do I ensure the accuracy of my EEI results?

To ensure the accuracy of your EEI results, it's important to carefully plan and conduct your experiment, use appropriate measuring tools and techniques, and repeat your experiments multiple times to reduce the impact of any errors. It's also important to critically evaluate your results and discuss any potential sources of error.

How do I present my EEI findings and conclusions?

Your EEI findings and conclusions should be presented in a clear and organized manner. This can include data tables, graphs, and other visual aids, as well as a written report that explains your experiment, results, and conclusions in detail. It's also important to reflect on the limitations and implications of your findings, and suggest potential areas for further research.