How Can I Enhance the Power of a Small Homemade Electromagnet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter master84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electromagnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
master84
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Small Simple Electromagnet...Help Please!

hi
I'm trying to make a simple small electromagnet using a core from electric drill transformer (I think its called permalloy if I'm not mistaken) which i machined into 17mm long and 2mm diameter. How can i make it powerful enough to produce a force of more than 0.001N without overheating the circuit. I'm using a 0.125mm insulated copper wire, powered by a Manson EP-613 power supply (0-30V , 2.5A DC power supply)

Can anybody point me to a right direction? Such as formula needed for the calculation of voltage and current needed and advice on the design itself would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org