MissP.25_5
- 329
- 0
NascentOxygen said:I can't see it. But I see a small mistake: on the 4th line, shouldn't you be taking out the common factor 1/4?
Mentallic said:You substituted incorrectly.
[tex]\cos{z}=\frac{e^{iz}+e^{-iz}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\sin{z}=\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}[/tex]
And you should factor out a value on the 4th line because you want your expression to be of the form
[tex]k\left(\frac{e^{iz}-e^{-iz}}{2i}\right)[/tex]
(or some similar form in the brackets)
where k is some complex number, and z is a complex number. Your expression would then simplify to [itex]k\sin{z}[/itex]
Mentallic said:Well of course you should recognize that
[tex]z^2=(x+iy)^2=x^2-y^2+i 2xy[/tex]
and what you have is VERY similar to this form. Since you made a mistake early on that I pointed out, your final result isn't going to work with the method I'm hinting at here, but when you fix that up then it'll fall into place.
[tex]i(x^2-y^2)-2xy[/tex]
Should be quite easily converted into a function of z by observing the z2 result.
Mentallic said:Now expand like you did earlier and simplify where possible.
Mentallic said:Now expand like you did earlier and simplify where possible.
Mentallic said:Sorry, I only just glossed over your previous upload and didn't spot the error.
[tex]\sinh{z}=\frac{e^z-e^{-z}}{2}[/tex]
while you had an i in the denominator.
Mentallic said:The first 4 terms have a constant factor of
[tex]\frac{1}{4i}[/tex]
while the right 4 are
[tex]\frac{i}{4}[/tex]
How do these two numbers relate to each other?
Mentallic said:Check post #10.
Mentallic said:I'm using w just as a place-holder. Just like a and b are place-holders.
Let w=a-b.
Mentallic said:Notice that -ia+b = -(ia-b)
so if we let w=-ia+b (or we could have also done w=ia-b) then
[tex]\frac{i}{2}(e^{-ia+b}-e^{ia-b})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{i}{2}(e^{-ia+b}-e^{-(-ia+b)})[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{i}{2}(e^{w}-e^{-w})[/tex]
[tex]=i\left(\frac{e^{w}-e^{-w}}{2}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=i\cdot\sinh(w)[/tex]
Let's substitute back now since we don't want w.
[tex]w=-ia+b[/tex]
[tex]=-i(x^2-y^2)+2xy[/tex]
[tex]=-i\left((x^2-y^2)+i2xy\right)[/tex]
And what is [itex]x^2-y^2+i2xy[/itex] equal to in terms of z?