How can i figure the current loss of a power supply?

In summary, based on the information given, it appears that the circuit is wasting power and may be less efficient than it should be.
seetherulez
OK, so if I'm inputting 120V ac @ 1.5A equals 180W
and my output is 19V dc @ 3.16A equals 60.04W
simple subtraction says 116W is left. that can't be right can it?
am i doing this wrong or am i actually losing 116W of power?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
no, I'm trying to figure the efficiency of the circuit.
according to the service sticker ( laptop power cube ) the input is 120v 1.6A
and the output is 19v 3.16A,
120 x 1.6 is 180W rms
and 19v x 3.16A is 60.04W rms right?
so there's about 120W of power being wasted unless I'm not doing this right lol

Those are ratings, not actual usage values. If you want to know the actual circuit efficiency at various loads, you have to measure them.

AC

Watt= E X I X cosine of the phase angle (For sine waves)

Is the maximum input rating 120V @ 1.6A = 192VA, and the maximum output rating 19V dc @ 3.16A = 60VA? Apparently this is a very reactive (and maybe a transformerless) circuit. VA or volt-amps is not a measure of power if the power factor is low.
I recently measured both the VA and watts of a 1/4 horsepower induction motor without any load. The input was 415VA and 95 watts. So the power factor in this case is 0.23.

according to the service sticker ( laptop power cube ) the input is 120v 1.6A

You are measuring 60 watts DC output, so that is one thing you know for sure.

You can say the input can't be any less than 60 watts.
You can guess that maybe the power supply is 60% efficient (just an example) and then the input would be about 100 watts. In that case, the current would be (100 watts / 120 volts) or 0.833 Amps.
If it was 80 % efficient, the input power would be 75 watts and the current at 120 volts would be 0.625 Amps.

The sticker current has little meaning except to give you an idea of the current under heavily loaded output conditions. It won't draw those currents unless you put a much larger load on the output (or it is very inefficient).

So, unless you measure the input (carefully!) and find a problem, you don't have a problem. You haven't mentioned overheating or smoke effects, so everything is probably working OK.

1. How do I calculate the current loss of a power supply?

To calculate the current loss of a power supply, you will need to know the input voltage, output voltage, and output current of the power supply. Then, you can use the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current. Subtract the output power from the input power to determine the current loss.

2. What factors can affect the current loss of a power supply?

There are several factors that can affect the current loss of a power supply, including the efficiency of the power supply, the quality of the components used, and the operating temperature. Higher efficiency power supplies and quality components can help reduce current loss, while high temperatures can increase it.

3. Why is it important to calculate the current loss of a power supply?

Calculating the current loss of a power supply is important because it can help you determine the overall efficiency of the power supply. It can also help identify any potential issues or areas for improvement in the design of the power supply.

4. How can I improve the current loss of a power supply?

There are a few ways to improve the current loss of a power supply. One way is to use higher quality components that have lower resistance and can handle higher temperatures. Another way is to increase the efficiency of the power supply by using techniques such as pulse width modulation or switching regulators.

5. Is there a standard or guideline for acceptable current loss in power supplies?

There is no set standard or guideline for acceptable current loss in power supplies, as it can vary depending on the specific application and design. However, a lower current loss is generally desired as it indicates a more efficient power supply.