How can I find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

• Thread starter rain2air
  • Start date
In summary, it is important to know if there is a 1u void in the solder because it could create problems with the electrical connections.
rain2air
I have soldered a pair of brass tape on the both side of a copper tape.
The thickness of each metal tape is about 150 um(micrometer).
The thickness of solder is about 2~20 um.
I want to know what device can find the small vacancy of solder between the brass and the copper tape.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depends on the area of the void . Very small voids will be difficult to detect by any method but larger voids that occur in normal soldered joints can be detected by a variety of standard NDT procedures . X ray and ultrasound detection are commonly used .

With these very thin layers you might be able to locate larger voids by measuring the through thickness electrical resistance at numerous points and detecting local variations .

Last edited:
Curious to know why you need to know if there is a 1u void? Presumably it makes a difference to some something? so can you use that "something" to help locate it?

You should be able to use acoustic time domain reflectometry, or an ultrasonic thickness gauge. There will be a significant reflection from the acoustic impedance mismatch where there is air between the laminated metals.

CWatters said:
Curious to know why you need to know if there is a 1u void? Presumably it makes a difference to some something? so can you use that "something" to help locate it?
I want to prevent the void from being created in the solder.

rain2air said:
I want to prevent the void from being created in the solder.

Why does it matter? What will the void do? CWatters asked because if your application is X and you will get Y problem then in your test setup you could do a bit of X and try to detect Y. If you see a bit of Y then you have the void. That may not be true of your application but if it is then you have a good way of measuring it.

BoB

Likes Baluncore

FAQ: How can I find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

1. How can I find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

To find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass, you will need a microscope with a high resolution and magnification capabilities. You can also use specialized imaging techniques such as scanning electron microscopy or transmission electron microscopy.

2. What is the best method to locate a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

The most effective method to locate a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass is using a focused ion beam (FIB) technique. This method involves using a focused beam of ions to remove material from the surface of the brass, revealing any vacancies or defects.

3. Can I use a regular optical microscope to find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

No, a regular optical microscope does not have enough resolution to detect a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass. It is recommended to use a higher resolution microscope or specialized imaging techniques for accurate results.

4. Are there any other factors that could affect the detection of a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

Yes, factors such as the surface roughness and composition of the brass, as well as the type of imaging technique used, can affect the detection of a 1 um size vacancy. It is important to consider these factors when conducting the experiment.

5. Is it possible to find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass without using specialized equipment?

It is highly unlikely to find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass without using specialized equipment. The small size of the vacancy and the thickness of the brass require high resolution and magnification capabilities that are not available in regular microscopes.

Back