1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I find a 1 um size vacancy under 150 um brass?

1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    I have soldered a pair of brass tape on the both side of a copper tape.
    The thickness of each metal tape is about 150 um(micrometer).
    The thickness of solder is about 2~20 um.
    I want to know what device can find the small vacancy of solder between the brass and the copper tape.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on the area of the void . Very small voids will be difficult to detect by any method but larger voids that occur in normal soldered joints can be detected by a variety of standard NDT procedures . X ray and ultrasound detection are commonly used .

With these very thin layers you might be able to locate larger voids by measuring the through thickness electrical resistance at numerous points and detecting local variations .

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  4. Jul 9, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Curious to know why you need to know if there is a 1u void? Presumably it makes a difference to some something? so can you use that "something" to help locate it?

5. Jul 11, 2016 #4

Baluncore

Science Advisor

You should be able to use acoustic time domain reflectometry, or an ultrasonic thickness gauge. There will be a significant reflection from the acoustic impedance mismatch where there is air between the laminated metals.

6. Jul 12, 2016 #5
    I want to prevent the void from being created in the solder.

7. Jul 25, 2016 #6

rbelli1

Gold Member

Why does it matter? What will the void do? CWatters asked because if your application is X and you will get Y problem then in your test setup you could do a bit of X and try to detect Y. If you see a bit of Y then you have the void. That may not be true of your application but if it is then you have a good way of measuring it.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted