How can I find the determinant of the conjugate matrix?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
ptolema
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



conj.jpg


Homework Equations



complex conjugate of a+bi is a-bi

The Attempt at a Solution



I defined M = A+Bi, where A and B contain real number entries. So that means that [tex]\bar{}M[/tex] = A-Bi. Past that point, I don't know what to do. How can I find the determinant of the conjugate matrix? Or the complex conjugate of det (M)? Could someone give me a hand?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


I'd say that the determinant of a matrix is a bunch of additions on products of complex numbers which make up the matrix.

Note that when you multiply or add 2 conjugate numbers, the result is the same when you multiply or add the original numbers and then take the conjugate.

So the determinant of a conjugated matrix has to be the same as the conjugate of the determinant of a matrix.
 


I think using induction and then doing a cofactor expansion would work, though I haven't checked the details.