How can I make a stone jump out of water?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Jump Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
ngkamsengpeter
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
I have seen many of these phenomenon before that is when someone throw a stone to the water , the stone can jump out of water for several times before it drop to the water . I know it is due to surface tension of water .How do I know that what speed and what angle I need to throw the stone in order for it to jump from the water and what is the value of surface tension of water ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
it is found that, a angle of 20 degree between the stone nd water,
a speed of 12 m/s
a rotational speed of 14 rev/sec of the stone, is necessary to jump on water..
 
ngkamsengpeter said:
I have seen many of these phenomenon before that is when someone throw a stone to the water , the stone can jump out of water for several times before it drop to the water . I know it is due to surface tension of water .How do I know that what speed and what angle I need to throw the stone in order for it to jump from the water and what is the value of surface tension of water ?

That is not true, it is not because of the surface tension.