How can I make these series equal to each other?

• Thread starter hddd123456789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the individual is seeking help in finding a way to make S1 equal S2 through operations. However, the first term of S2 is infinite, making it impossible to achieve. The individual suggests setting k=1 for both series and dealing with the first terms separately, but this does not provide a solution. The individual also mentions that S1 equals (1+a)^b as well as e, but there is no similar closed form for S2. This is simply an exploration of numbers with no specific goal in mind.
hddd123456789
Hi,

I'm trying to see if there is an operation or set of operations I can perform on S1 so that it equals S2. I've just been going in circles and it seems I just don't have enough knowledge of how factorials behave in series to crack this. Any hints would be much appreciated.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Attachments

• equations.jpg
    equations.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 408
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't. The first term of s2 is (-1)! which is infinite.

Thanks for the reply; would it help to set k=1 for both series, and deal with the first terms separately? And forgot to mention that S1=e.

Last edited:
S1 = (1+a)b. I suggest you try to understand what this is about.

Sorry, you mean understand the problem or the equation in your post? I know that S1 equals (1+a)^b as well as e. But I guess there isn't a similar closed form of S2.

As for the problem, this is just some "fun" exploration of numbers I made up.

1. How do I determine if two series are equal to each other?

The simplest way to determine if two series are equal is to compare each term in one series to the corresponding term in the other series. If all terms are the same, then the two series are equal.

2. Can I use algebraic manipulation to make two series equal to each other?

Yes, you can use algebraic manipulation to make two series equal to each other. You can add, subtract, multiply, or divide both sides of the equation by a constant or variable to manipulate the terms until they are equal.

3. What are some common techniques for making two series equal to each other?

Some common techniques for making two series equal to each other include factoring, substitution, and completing the square. These techniques can help you manipulate the terms in the series to make them equal.

4. Can I use a calculator or computer program to make two series equal to each other?

Yes, you can use a calculator or computer program to make two series equal to each other. Many programs have built-in functions or equations that can help you manipulate the terms in the series to make them equal.

5. Is it always possible to make two series equal to each other?

No, it is not always possible to make two series equal to each other. Some series may have different patterns or terms that cannot be manipulated to become equal. In these cases, the series are considered unequal.