How can I prove the trig identity sinxcosxsec^2x = tanx?

In summary, to prove the equation sinxcosxsec^2x=tanx, you can rewrite secant squared as 1/cos squared and then use the trigonometric identities of SOHCAHTOA to simplify the equation.
seastick
1. How do I prove sinxcosxsec^2x=tanx

Homework Equations

sec^2x = tan^2x + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

sinxcosx(tan^2x + 1)
tan^2xsinxcosx +sinxcosx
sin^2x/cos^2x*sinxcosx + sinxcosx - is this valid?

I'm not sure what I've done is even correct - but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere helpful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite secant squared as 1/cos squared. The you'll have (sincos)/(coscos). Cancel cosines and you're done. I'll edit this from my computer and add arguments later!

secant = 1/cosine
cosecant = 1/sine
cotangent = 1/tangent

iRaid said:
secant = 1/cosine
cosecant = 1/sine
cotangent = 1/tangent

SOHCAHTOA. qed

Many thanks for your help

The Chaz said:
SOHCAHTOA. qed
Wasn't that Lewis and Clark's indian guide?

No, this is the one that's featured on the new US coins ;)

Related to How can I prove the trig identity sinxcosxsec^2x = tanx?

1. How do I start proving a trig identity?

The first step in proving a trig identity is to identify which identity you are trying to prove and then decide which side you will start with. It is also helpful to have a list of common trig identities and their proofs on hand to refer to during the process.

2. What are some common strategies for proving trig identities?

Some common strategies for proving trig identities include using basic trig identities such as the Pythagorean identity, factoring, simplifying expressions, and using substitution or algebraic manipulation.

3. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, you can check it by substituting values for the variables or angles in the original identity and in your proof. If the two sides of the equation are equal, then your proof is correct.

4. What are some tips for solving difficult trig identities?

When faced with a difficult trig identity, it can be helpful to start by simplifying one side of the equation using basic trig identities or algebraic manipulation. You can also try working on one side of the equation at a time and then combining them at the end. It is also important to remain patient and persistent.

5. Can I use a calculator to prove trig identities?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is not recommended to solely rely on it to prove trig identities. It is important to have a solid understanding of the identities and their proofs in order to successfully prove them without a calculator.