How can I prove this from Roger Penrose's Road to Reality?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Etienne
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Hi, I've been reading Roger Penrose's Road to Reality during my free time, and I am trying to do all the proofs I possibly can, although I am quickly reaching my limit.

Would somebody help me prove this?

h(x)=0 if x ≤ 0
h(x) = e-1/x if x > 0

Thank you in advance :)
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Read what you wrote and then maybe understand that there is no question in your post. Prove what ?
 
This is an incomplete definition of h(x). You cannot prove a definition.
You can prove that h is continuous by looking at a specific limit.
 
I'm so sorry, I see I only wrote the definition of the function.

It is said that the function h(x) is of class C∞ in the domain ℝ. What I understand is that it must have an infinite number of derivatives, and that at the slope must be 0 at the origin.

However, I haven't been able to prove this and apparently neither could a friend. It is probably much easier than I think, but I haven't been able to do it.

Could I approach this with a Taylor series? Logarithms? I apologize for the anterior and thanks again.