How Can I Solve These Vector Problems for My Homework?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the most general vector in the yz-plane that is perpendicular to a given vector A and proving that the magnitude of the vector product of two vectors is equal to the area of the parallelogram they form. The hint provided suggests using the scalar product of two perpendicular vectors, which equals zero, to find the desired vector. The individual asking for help also mentions forgetting some properties of vectors and requests full solutions for the problems.
Aleksandar
Can someone help me with the following questions for homework?

1. Consider the vector A=7i + 3j - 6k. Find the most general vector in the yz-plane that is perpendicular to A.
2. Show that the magnitude of the vector product of two vectors is the area of the parallelogram for which the two vectors form adjacent sides.

Help me, I'm desperate. They might be easy, but I've tried and its no use. If you can solve this problems somehow with full solutions. PLEASE

You can also e-mail me on:
ikkakumon100@yahoo.com

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint regarding 1: What does the scalar product of two perpendicular vectors equal?

Scalar product of two perpendicular vectors equals zero, right?, since cos(alpha) of 90 degrees is zero, therefore it should equal to zero.

I guess I have forgotten many things about vectors, including their properties. So if the dot product of two perpendicular vectors would equal zero, how can that help figure out the most general vector in the yz-plane that is perpendicular to that vector A, in the previous post given.

Related to How Can I Solve These Vector Problems for My Homework?

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position, including its direction. Speed is a scalar quantity that describes how fast an object is moving without considering its direction.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is the change in velocity divided by the time interval in which it occurred.

3. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

4. How do forces affect an object's motion?

Forces can change an object's motion by causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction. The size and direction of the force determine how much an object's motion will change.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition. Kinetic energy can be transferred from one object to another, while potential energy can only be converted into kinetic energy.