How Can I Solve This Second Order Linear ODE Problem?

In summary, the problem is that the user is trying to find a formula for the general solution of $ax^2y''+bxy'+cy=0$ where $y=x^r\ln(x)$ when $(b-a)^2-4ac=0$, but is having trouble with the product rule and with LaTeX.
danthatdude
I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem. I'm also having a lot of trouble inputting it into LaTeX. I hope you can follow even though the markup isn't good.

I'm trying to find a formula for the general solution of $ax^2y''+bxy'+cy=0$ where $y=x^r\ln(x)$ when $(b-a)^2-4ac=0$;

using product rule,
i got

$y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x)$
and $y"=(r-1)x^{r-2}+rx^{r-2}\ln(x)$

substituting y, y', and y" into the differential equation, I got

$a((r-1)+r+r(r-1)\ln(x))+b(1+r\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

(Since every term had $x^r$ after distributing $x^2$, x into the parentheses, I simplified it to 1 by dividing the entire equation by $x^r$).

I end up with
$a(((r-1)(r)\ln(x))+(2r-1))+b(1+r\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

$a(r^2\ln(x)-r\ln(x)+2r-1)+b+br\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

I'm not able to simplify this quadratic in a form that gives the solution to the roots with $(b-a)^2-4ac$ under the radical. (I solved a problem similar to this with a simpler function for y).

Can anybody point out where I went wrong, and how to arrive at the solution step by step? I went over the algebra very carefully but I can't pinpoint where my algebra went wrong. I feel like I'm very close to the solution but I went wrong at some very elementary step.

I also tried doing the markup for the problem with LaTeX but it wasn't typesetting correctly -- I don't have a lot of experience with it. I hope you're able to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
danthatdude said:
I'm having a lot of trouble with this problem. I'm also having a lot of trouble inputting it into LaTeX. I hope you can follow even though the markup isn't good.

I'm trying to find a formula for the general solution of $ax^2y''+bxy'+cy=0$ where $y=x^r\ln(x)$ when $(b-a)^2-4ac=0$;

using product rule,
i got

$y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x)$
and $y"=(r-1)x^{r-2}+rx^{r-2}\ln(x)$

substituting y, y', and y" into the differential equation, I got

$a((r-1)+r+r(r-1)\ln(x))+b(1+r\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

(Since every term had $x^r$ after distributing $x^2$, x into the parentheses, I simplified it to 1 by dividing the entire equation by $x^r$).

I end up with
$a(((r-1)(r)\ln(x))+(2r-1))+b(1+r\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

$a(r^2\ln(x)-r\ln(x)+2r-1)+b+br\ln(x)+c\ln(x)=0$

I'm not able to simplify this quadratic in a form that gives the solution to the roots with $(b-a)^2-4ac$ under the radical. (I solved a problem similar to this with a simpler function for y).

Can anybody point out where I went wrong, and how to arrive at the solution step by step? I went over the algebra very carefully but I can't pinpoint where my algebra went wrong. I feel like I'm very close to the solution but I went wrong at some very elementary step.

I also tried doing the markup for the problem with LaTeX but it wasn't typesetting correctly -- I don't have a lot of experience with it. I hope you're able to follow.

When you derivate $y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x)$ you want to derivate a product.
So, the second derivative of $y$ is the following:
$$y''=(x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x))'=(x^{r-1})'+(rx^{r-1}\ln(x))' \\ =(r-1)x^{r-2}+(rx^{r-1})' \ln(x)+rx^{r-1}(\ln(x))'=(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2} \ln(x)+rx^{r-1}\frac{1}{x} \\ =(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2} \ln(x)+rx^{r-2}$$

mathmari said:
When you derivate $y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x)$ you want to derivate a product.
So, the second derivative of $y$ is the following:
$$y''=(x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln(x))'=(x^{r-1})'+(rx^{r-1}\ln(x))' \\ =(r-1)x^{r-2}+(rx^{r-1})' \ln(x)+rx^{r-1}(\ln(x))'=(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2} \ln(x)+rx^{r-1}\frac{1}{x} \\ =(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2} \ln(x)+rx^{r-2}$$

oops, i left out that last term, yes I got what you have for the second derivative.

But the issue still remains when I substitute it into the expression

I end up with a[(r-1)+r+(r)(r-1)ln(x)]+b[r(ln(x))]+cln(x)=0

after simplifying. the natural logarithm term is what's making it hard to get it into the quadratic equation in terms of r that I need it to be to be able to factor it into

[(a-b)+sqrt((b-a)^2-4ac)]/2a

danthatdude said:
oops, i left out that last term, yes I got what you have for the second derivative.

But the issue still remains when I substitute it into the expression

I end up with a[(r-1)+r+(r)(r-1)ln(x)]+b[r(ln(x))]+cln(x)=0

after simplifying. the natural logarithm term is what's making it hard to get it into the quadratic equation in terms of r that I need it to be to be able to factor it into

[(a-b)+sqrt((b-a)^2-4ac)]/2a

$y=x^r \ln{(x)}$
$y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln{(x)}$
$y''=(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2}\ln{(x)}+rx^{r-2}$

$$ax^2y''+bxy'+cy=0 \\ \Rightarrow ax^2 \left ( (r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2}\ln{(x)}+rx^{r-2} \right )+bx \left ( x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln{(x)} \right )+cx^r \ln{(x)}=0 \\ \Rightarrow ax^r \left ( (r-1)+r(r-1)\ln{(x)}+r\right )+bx^r \left ( 1+r\ln{(x)} \right )+cx^r \ln{(x)}=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a \left ( 2r-1+r(r-1)\ln{(x)}\right )+b \left ( 1+r\ln{(x)} \right )+c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a(2r-1)+ar(r-1)\ln{(x)}+ b+br\ln{(x)} +c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( 2ar-a+(ar^2-ar)\ln{(x)}+ b+br\ln{(x)} +c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a \ln{(x)} r^2+(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})r+(c\ln{(x)}+(b-a))\right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow a \ln{(x)} r^2+(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})r+(c\ln{(x)}+(b-a))=0 $$

The discriminant is equal to $$ \Delta=(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})^2-4 \cdot a \ln{(x)} \cdot (c\ln{(x)}+(b-a)) \\ =4a^2+4a(b-a) \ln{(x)}+(b-a)^2 \ln^2{(x)}-4ac \ln^2{(x)}-4a(b-a)\ln{(x)} \\ = 4a^2+\left ( (b-a)^2 -4ac \right )\ln^2{(x)} $$ Therefore, the solutions are $$ r_{1,2}=\frac{-(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)}) \pm \sqrt{4a^2+\left ( (b-a)^2 -4ac \right )\ln^2{(x)}}}{2a \ln{(x)}}$$

mathmari said:
$y=x^r \ln{(x)}$
$y'=x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln{(x)}$
$y''=(r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2}\ln{(x)}+rx^{r-2}$

$$ax^2y''+bxy'+cy=0 \\ \Rightarrow ax^2 \left ( (r-1)x^{r-2}+r(r-1)x^{r-2}\ln{(x)}+rx^{r-2} \right )+bx \left ( x^{r-1}+rx^{r-1}\ln{(x)} \right )+cx^r \ln{(x)}=0 \\ \Rightarrow ax^r \left ( (r-1)+r(r-1)\ln{(x)}+r\right )+bx^r \left ( 1+r\ln{(x)} \right )+cx^r \ln{(x)}=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a \left ( 2r-1+r(r-1)\ln{(x)}\right )+b \left ( 1+r\ln{(x)} \right )+c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a(2r-1)+ar(r-1)\ln{(x)}+ b+br\ln{(x)} +c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( 2ar-a+(ar^2-ar)\ln{(x)}+ b+br\ln{(x)} +c \ln{(x)} \right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow x^r \left ( a \ln{(x)} r^2+(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})r+(c\ln{(x)}+(b-a))\right )=0 \\ \Rightarrow a \ln{(x)} r^2+(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})r+(c\ln{(x)}+(b-a))=0 $$

The discriminant is equal to $$ \Delta=(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)})^2-4 \cdot a \ln{(x)} \cdot (c\ln{(x)}+(b-a)) \\ =4a^2+4a(b-a) \ln{(x)}+(b-a)^2 \ln^2{(x)}-4ac \ln^2{(x)}-4a(b-a)\ln{(x)} \\ = 4a^2+\left ( (b-a)^2 -4ac \right )\ln^2{(x)} $$ Therefore, the solutions are $$ r_{1,2}=\frac{-(2a+(b-a) \ln{(x)}) \pm \sqrt{4a^2+\left ( (b-a)^2 -4ac \right )\ln^2{(x)}}}{2a \ln{(x)}}$$

Thank you so much. It looks like I got up to the very last step before the discriminant...I just factored differently and canceled x^r in earlier steps. I think had I not been trying to find a way to algebraically cancel out ln(x) I could have had the solution by using the formula for roots of a quadratic. I thought I had to cancel out ln(x).

So it's ok to have a function in r for y=(x^r)ln(x)?

danthatdude said:
So it's ok to have a function in r for y=(x^r)ln(x)?

Yes! The general solution will be of the form $$y(x)=\left ( c_1 x^{r_1}+c_2 x^{r_2} \right ) \ln{(x)}$$

Related to How Can I Solve This Second Order Linear ODE Problem?

What is a second order linear ODE?

A second order linear ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In this type of ODE, the highest derivative present is of second order, meaning it is raised to the power of 2.

What is the general form of a second order linear ODE?

The general form of a second order linear ODE is y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0, where P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x. This form is also known as the standard form.

What are the conditions for a second order linear ODE to be considered homogeneous?

A second order linear ODE is considered homogeneous if the equation can be written in the form y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = 0, where both P(x) and Q(x) are functions of x only. This means that there are no terms in the equation that involve the function y itself.

How do you solve a second order linear ODE with constant coefficients?

To solve a second order linear ODE with constant coefficients, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters. Both of these methods involve finding a particular solution to the ODE and combining it with the general solution, which includes the complementary function and the particular solution.

What are some real-world applications of second order linear ODEs?

Second order linear ODEs have many real-world applications, such as modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing electrical circuits, predicting population growth, and studying the behavior of springs and masses in mechanical systems. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model various phenomena and make predictions.