How Can Photoelasticity Detect Minimal Stress in Window Glass?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter roy_lennon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Stress
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
roy_lennon
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I need to get the stress components on a window glass using photoelasticity technique.

How can I now the minimum amount of stress that can be detected using this technique?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You presumably know how to use the technique?

The minimum amount is zero, usually free boundaries.
 
Hello

Let me modify the question..

If I apply a force of 1 Newton to the glass, will the stress be detected using photoelasticity?
Or do I need to apply a bigger force so it can be detected?
 
This is a 'how long is a piece of string?' question.

The basic method gives the difference between the max and min principle stresses at any point by counting the number (n) of fringes (dark/ light transitions) from a point of known stress difference - hence my comment about free edges. there is, of course a material fiddle factor (f) you can juggle witht he thichness (t) to get any value you require.

[tex]{\sigma _{\max }} - {\sigma _{\min }} = \frac{{nf}}{t}[/tex]